AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> DXF loudspeaker import
DXF loudspeaker import
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Arthur

On page 583 of the manual is a brief description of the possibility of importing loudspeakers through DXF import. How does one prepare the DXF file for importing the x,y placement of the loudspeakers, if one is doing a simple 2D import, then extruding and displacing as needed? Do I just draw some boxes on the "EASE-LO" layer where the loudspeakers are located?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

Hello Arthur,
A DXF Export of a simple shoebox helps to illuminate what needs to be done. On the EASE-LOudspeaker layer you should place blocks with names that correspond with a Loudspeaker label in your EASE project. The X, Y, and Z location and the orientation of the block will then be used to create an EASE loudspeaker in your imported project.

For the instance where you are just using a 2D plan and extruding in EASE, you really just need to have this block placed at the correct X, Y location. Then in EASE you would move it to the correct Z elevation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:17 am Reply with quote
Arthur

Thanks Bruce! I tried a DXF Export of a simple model, but it seems like the "Speaker Model" name was carried over instead of the "Loudspeaker Label" name for the block name in AutoCAD. It does the same thing in DXF Import. Is there any way to preserve the Loudspeaker Label in importing? Would be kinda nice to preserve the naming scheme of the loudspeakers through the importation process instead of the usual S1, S2, S3.... I guess this is following the same process as importing named faces by material type, only you name each loudspeaker "block" by the model # being used.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:06 am Reply with quote
Bruce

Arthur wrote:
... it seems like the "Speaker Model" name was carried over instead of the "Loudspeaker Label" name for the block name in AutoCAD.
Ahh, quite right, I misspoke.
Arthur wrote:
Is there any way to preserve the Loudspeaker Label in importing?

No, not really, but this is a good suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Arthur

This import capability is a real time saver, thanks for the help! Smile As a workaround, what I have done is named each block with "Speaker Model-Loudspeaker Label". This then enables me to edit the loudspeakers in EASE with the Label Assignment first, then change the loudspeaker to the appropriate model.

Maybe as a feature request, the importation process can parse the name of the block to come up with the Loudspeaker Model and Loudspeaker Label separately, maybe in the format I have done above, perhaps use a different character to separate the two. Yeah, I know that it is possible to duplicate labels this way, but it can always be fixed later in EASE.
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4