AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> How to view directionality over time
How to view directionality over time
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:41 am Reply with quote
robmiller

I am an EASE Aura user that has modeled a room with a lot of strong late reflections. It seems that the EASE probe would have all of this directionality information for the reflectogram, but I have not found a way to display it. Something like playing the Hedgehog over time would be invaluable to me.

Is there a way to do it? The closest thing I have found is stepping through reflection orders on the hedgehog, but it isn't the same without the delay (ms) information to correlate with the reflectogram. There's also just using the Raytracing module, which I have, but it is difficult to correlate which reflections are the ones with a high level at the seat.

Thanks in advance,
Rob
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

Hi Rob,

If I understand you correctly, you can do one of the following procedures for your investigation:

1. Look at the hedgehog and the reflectogram at the same time: open the response file you would like to analyse in Probe. Then, go to EASE main module an open another instance of the Probe. Load the same file in this second window but, this time, click Graphs > Pulse Directionality > Hedgehog. Finally, in both windows, from the top menu select Share > Selected Pulse. Now, every time you click a pulse in the reflectogram you will be able to see it its direction in the hedgehog.

2. Look at the reflections in the room and the reflectogram at the same time: this feature is not available for AURA. To see the reflections in the room while seeing the reflectogram at the same time, open the ray tracing module and select YES to open the View Project module. Then, calculate the room response (not the full response...) using either Ray Tracing Impacts, Mirror Image Impacts or Local Ray Tracing. Save the ray tracing file and in the View Impact File window, click Invoke Probe. If you click the ray in the reflectogram now, the full path it took will be displayed in the View Project window. You can also open another instance of probe to see the hedgehog as described above.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Pedro Lima
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:54 am Reply with quote
jb75bixton

[quote="AFMG Pedro Lima"]Hi Rob,

If I understand you correctly, you can do one of the following procedures for your investigation:

1. Look at the hedgehog and the reflectogram at the same time: open the response file you would like to analyse in Probe. Then, go to EASE main module an open another instance of the Probe. Load the same file in this second window but, this time, click Graphs > Pulse Directionality > Hedgehog. Finally, in both windows, from the top menu select Share > Selected Pulse. Now, every time you click a pulse in the reflectogram you will be able to see it its direction in the hedgehog.

2. Look at the reflections in the room and the reflectogram at the same time: this feature is not available for AURA. To see the reflections in the room while seeing the reflectogram at the same time, open the ray tracing module and select YES to open the View Project module. Then, calculate the room response (not the full response...) using either Ray Tracing Impacts, Mirror Image Impacts or Local Ray Tracing. Save the ray tracing file and in the View Impact File window, click Invoke Probe. If you click the ray in the reflectogram now, the full path it took will be displayed in the View Project window. You can also open another instance of probe to see the hedgehog as described above.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Pedro Lima[/quote]

I tried repeating this process but I'm not getting the full path in the project window. Did everything exactly as your steps though. Am I the only one not getting this working?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

Hi,

It would be helpful if you sent pictures or a small video showing the problem.

What exactly do you mean with "not getting the full path in the project window" ? The rays displayed there will always be show to the extent they have been calculated - max. reflection order, max. time, min. energy... So, if the rays at the end of the response, with long paths, are not being displayed, you should change the ray tracing calculation parameters so that they can be included (increasing the reflection order, the time...).

Can you please add more information so we and other users can identify your problem ?

You can also find more info about the ray tracing modules in the corresponding chapter in the EASE Tutorial, here:
http://ease.afmg.eu/index.php/documents.html

Kind Regards,
Pedro Lima
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4