AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Check data
Check data
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
safa

Hi all,
I am having problem with checking the data in EASE, and I hope some one can help me with it. I have imported sketch up model for a concert hall, but when I checked the data it keeps showing errors or holes which I tried to fix with the hole check mentioned in the tutorial but it did not work out. I ended up remodeling the hall in EASE following the steps in the tutorial but again when I am checking the data for that it keeps showing holes I checked faces orientation and other errors but even after hole check many elements went missing and the errors still there. Please let me know of a way to sort it out, I am working on my dissertation and without data check I can not start the analysis. Thanks in advance.
1.JPG
2.JPG

Regards,
Safa
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Pierre-Antoine Sainz

Hi Safa,

Images are missing in your post!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
safa

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zqq5fo87zw1h9mo/AADvXu4rw0k3dkwsP4vlsW0Na?dl=0

This is the link to the pictures,
and this is the link to the typical error I am getting lately while trying to sort it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/498970r9q32bl83/ERROR.JPG?dl=0

Please let me know if there is away to fix it. Thanks in advance.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
thomas

Hi Safa,
when I look at your images, it seems to me, that the following rule of
modelling in EASE is ignored:
- all vertices inside a face have to be part of the face OR
have to belong to a second face, that is a coat of the first face.

At least the rear face of the organ and the upper faces of the two boxes
under the ceiling near the rear wall of the hall seem to have such a problem. Propably more.

The "check holes" button is really tempting, but it's highly recommended to
understand what is wrong and to correct it manually.

kind regards
Thomas
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

Hello All,

Here is good technique or rule of thumb for all users, especially new ones, on how to fix holes:
- Go to the Check Holes function [H] in the Edit Project module. Clique one of the points in the table to the left. You will see that some elements will be highlighted in the drawing. Usually more than one point/line is related to the same problem (Face, for instance). So, you can go ahead and click the other points to see the problem location. That is: use the table to located the different problem. Don´t be afraid of the number of vertices in the list, as I said a lot of them are are usually related to the same problem and can be fixed very quickly.
- Now, go with your mouse and start clicking around the "located problem" (around the highlighted face/line/vertex or inside of it). Do this and at the same time look for the usual sources of problems (they are always pretty much the same... Trust me). You can find the list of potential Holes here (section "Finding and Fix Holes") :
http://www.afmg-support.eu/AFMGDownloads/Downloads.aspx?SWP=EASE&FILE=EASE_4.3_Tutorial_English.pdf

But let me tell you some of them anyway:
- Inverted Faces (Yellow side must Face to the room inside. Same for Two Fold Faces, orange side to the room inside)
- Missing Faces
- Stacked Faces
- Stacked Vertices. In this case you must remember that adjacent Faces must ALWAYS share the same vertices. If there are stacked vertices or vertices in the same location, one Face might take one while the other adjacent Face might take the other. this creates a Hole in the room, since it won´t be closed.
- Two Fold Face mistakes. Such as using a Two Face where you shouldn´t. Or not using it where you should. Or applying Coating to the wrong Face. Please see more information about Two Fold Faces in the tutorial above. For instance, a Face that is meant to be a cloud/reflector hanging inside the room, should be a Two Fold Face and not a regular Face.
- Faces with zero surface area. These are Faces that look very much like Edges, they are just a thin line. So be attentive if the line you are seeing is really an edge or if it is really a Face. Delete it and joint the adjacent Faces correctly.
- A non-planar Face. EASE only likes plane Faces.
- A Face that divides the room in two separate acoustical environments. EASE will only work with a single acoustical environment per project.
- Same vertices Inserted. There is a Face in your drawing that has the same vertex added to it twice. Just open it´s properties and remove one of them accordingly.

Summarizing:
- Open Check Holes function and use the table to locate the problems
- Click around the problems while looking for one of the usual mistakes above

As Thomas advised, fixing the Holes manually is the best way. Do not use the (automatically) Close Holes button unless you´re absolutely sure of what you´re doing (that is, once you are Jedi in fixing holes yourself Wink). So, if you see a message like: "Do you want the program to solve the problem?", usually it is a good idea to say NO/Cancel and fix it yourself, so that you know what´s going on.

Kind Regards,
Pedro
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
safa

Thanks so much Mr. Thomas and Mr. Pedro , I have solved the holes manually and got the data checked.

Regards,
Safa
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4