AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> AFMG SysTune -> Import streaming audio
Import streaming audio
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:55 am Reply with quote
Niick

Ok, I'm needing help understanding how to fully us the potential of the "offline analysis" function. I'm wondering how to use the "import streaming audio" feature. If I'm understanding correctly, it requires the use of recording software. So, I use a 3mic array (I tune high end car audio systems, not the norm-I know) with a 4th reference channel. I've figured out how to record 4 individual channels of audio. But how do I save a single wav file with more than 2 (stereo) channels. The software I'm using is presonus studio one 2.

I also have Ableton Live 8, but that one is harder for me to figure out. I'm totally new to recording software.

So let's say I figure out a way to record a 4 channel wav file. How does SysTune know which is channel 1, which is channel 2 etc. ?

As you can tell, I'm kinda lost here. I guess I could create a loop in the recording software, but then that kinda defeats the purpose of the "streaming audio" function, doesn't it?

So lost. Help me please!! Smile
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

Hi Niick,

Youīre on the right track. There are numerous recording/editing software capable of exporting multi-channel wav files (in practice wav files can have MUCH more than 2 channels). Once you figure that out on the recording software you prefer, just load the file in SysTune and use it regularly (you will get it as soon as you are able to open the file). As usual, you will be able to select the desired reference channel and input channel (these will be the wav file channels instead of your audio interface channels).

Just a detail: SysTune supports up to 8 input channels (wav or real, doesnīt matter). But if you have SysTune PRO you can also mapp e.g. channel 9 to one of the these 8 and use it as well...

But let me suggest a very non-expensive and easy way of performing the process so that it can be useful for other users too. Hereīs a step by step:

1) Record the reference channel output and also the signals captured from the microphones. Letīs say, 1 reference + 4 mics = 5 channels. If you are not used to recording/editing softwares, you might want to try Audicity. Itīs a very simple, powerful and free tool. Check itīs tutorials and make the recordings!

2) After you are done, you will have a multi-track project in Audacity. Now you want to export these tracks to a single 5 channel wav file. For this, first go to Audacity Preferences (Edit > Preferences > Import/Export section) and enable the option "Use Custom Mix (for example to export a 5.1 multichannel file)". This will allow you exporting a multi-channel file with virtually "any" number of channels. For this explanation, I used Audacity 2.1.1. This option might change with time. So, check the software documentation, if needed.

3) Go to File > Export Audio and follow the dialog windows that will come to save the audio file.

4) Finally, open the file in SysTune via "File > Open Streaming Audio File". SysTune will start the file playback and you can use it just as you were measuring the system in real time. Select the reference channel, the input you want to analyse, FFT size, averages, etc.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Pedro Lima
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Niick

Pedro,

Thank you VERY much for the info. Regarding Audacity, I was under the impression that ASIO wasn't an option with Audacity, and therefore simultaneous multi-channel recording wasn't an option either?

So if multi-channel recording CAN be done with Audacity, what driver does one use to accomplish this?

I have successfully done multi-channel recording using PreSonus Studio One DAW, but unfortunately, the version I have doesnt allow muti-channel .wav exporting of files. I can export individual "stems", then import those into a single project in Audacity, then FROM THERE export a multi-channel .wav, but I'd really like to simply record AND export all from one program.

I realize that this isn't a "how-to" thread for Audacity, and I thank you for all the info you've given so far! I cant wait to get this working!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
Dmitriy

Hi guys

I had done the multichannel(6 ch) wav file.Have I an opportunity to adjust A/V reciver throuhg HDMI output of my notebook?
My sound interface for mic is steenberg UR44.
If no , can you explane how to do that.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

We are not familiar with the Steinberg UR44.

AFMG Network Forum Index -> AFMG SysTune