AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Focus -> FIR MAKER
FIR MAKER
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
Gert Sanner

Hello,
I jus wondered if the FIR maker is going to be a plugin? Or what is the intended way of using it? Is there anywhere where I can see it?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
John W

If you go to the Lab Gruppen and Powersoft websites they have start to promote it.

Looks great, looks like a Ease Focus thing.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

http://firmaker.afmg.eu/ Wink
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Langston Holland

FIRmaker's brochure states that "high-resolution" GLL's are required.

Is there something more involved with this type of GLL than those currently supported by Focus, or will the same GLL's used in Focus also work with FIRmaker?

Will manufacturers that already have GLL's licensed for Focus have to pay more for their end-users to access those loudspeakers in FIRmaker?

Just trying to get a feel for the manufacturer database we can expect to see in FIRmaker relative to what's currently available in Focus.

Thanks!

----

Edit: I apologize for not reading the white paper prior to the above post. It answers my questions satisfactorily, although it raises an interesting new question.

It appears that unlike Focus, the end-user will have to purchase a license to use FIRmaker in anything other than a demo mode. It will be interesting to learn how much this license costs and whether it will have to be renewed each year, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
John W

Hello Langston

Where did you find that white paper?

If it's something for the wider live audio market, have we thought about a mac version?

Thanks

John
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Langston Holland

http://firmaker.afmg.eu/index.php/downloads.html

I've used Macs exclusively since 2006 and dual boot to a lean install of Win7 64 bit to do almost all things audio. I don't have any connections to AFMG beyond loving what they do, but if I were them I wouldn't even consider making Mac versions of anything. I didn't used to feel that way, but it appears to me that Apple is slowly, but surely putting their best minds on things no larger than an iPad.

Just my opinion.

Also, I have strong reservations about thinking of FIRmaker as a broad market endeavor such as Focus is. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that it's more of a designer's tool even though it's being marketed similar to Focus. I'm in the live sound industry myself, but still think pushing this off on a typical production company is a bit like giving a teenager a Corvette. There could be some serious wrecks. :)

Just my opinion ^2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
Bruce

Langston Holland wrote:
Also, I have strong reservations about thinking of FIRmaker as a broad market endeavor such as Focus is. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that it's more of a designer's tool even though it's being marketed similar to Focus. I'm in the live sound industry myself, but still think pushing this off on a typical production company is a bit like giving a teenager a Corvette. There could be some serious wrecks. Smile

Just my opinion ^2.

You are absolutely right Langston. The answer to this is also found in section 5.3 of the White Paper.

Last edited by Bruce on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
John W

Hello Bruce & Langston

I am some what confused by this chain of thought . So the idea is that manufacturers will pay for a Focus license so the end users (maybe a typical production company) can hang there system with the most accurate tool of the job. But if the end user wanted to make use of FIRmaker that would be Ok as long as they are not a typical production company.

If a typical production company was in the position to invest in Lab Gruppen amps they would more then likely to invest in systems engineers that have been formally trained and know how to use the technologies that are part of there system. Yes with any equipment or tool there is the risk of untrained users can make a wrack out of it but to liken typical production company staff to a teenager driving a corvette is not a great place to be. On the subject, is there any AFMG training booked in for Australia or South East Asia this year yet?

If end user (typical production company) who has invested in supported brands are not allowed to use FIRmaker who is?

Do we need to employ a systems designer for every time a system go's out the door?

I am sorry Bruce I am feeling slapped across the face and the massage I am getting from you is that you would like to see production companies kept away from FIRmaker .

Love using AFMG products but I have been know to work for some very typical production companies!

John
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:52 am Reply with quote
Bruce

John,

In agreeing with Langston I have not meant to denigrate anyone. In fact I pointed to section 5.3 as to what our position is. I do agree that there can be some serious wrecks. That of course depends on the capabilities of the people deploying the system. I personally believe that loudspeaker manufacturers have a good idea of who will best deploy their systems.

AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Focus