AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Rare total SPL mapping
Rare total SPL mapping
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
ambupe

iīm trying to fixed the parameters for the standard calculation in the room mapping window - standard with reflexions option.

I have two audience areas in my model. The first, bigger, has the height of a human ear approx.(1.68 m). The second, has the height of a human ear in the first floor when sitting (2.65 + 1.2 m).

I need the SPL direct and total SPL maps. When I display the results for SPL direct no error happens. But when i display the results for SPL total the result for the smaller one is anormal.

This audience area is above the loudspeakers, into a room, with walls, ceiling and floor, is enclosed. So I donīt know why the total SPL map shows a constant color in the audience area, that corresponds with a high level decibels. I donīt know the reason for that problem, and í canīt resolve that problem.

I read that audience areas canīt be above loudspeakers. But i donīt know why. I have 4 loudspeakers with diferents heights ( 1.25 m and 1.4 m) and Iīm interested on that height. could be relating with??

[/img]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:54 am Reply with quote
ambupe

Red: audience areas. The bigger one (1.68m) and the smaller (3.85m) enclosed because is an office. In this case,all loudspeakers are activated.

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=6546b03747&view=att&th=133f8fe3a0afd554&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gvnklrqq0&zw

When SPL direct is represented everything is normal:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=6546b03747&view=att&th=133f905f249787e8&attid=0.2&disp=inline&realattid=f_gvnkxnwv1&zw

But when SPL total is represented the level in the smaller area is so high, why?? is enclosed!

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=6546b03747&view=att&th=133f905f249787e8&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gvnkw9r60&zw
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Jim Mobley

Ambupe,

The forum doesn't allow attachments and I really can't tell what your problem is without seeing the model. Please pack your project and send it to me and I'll have a look at it.

Please also include a step-by-step description of exactly what you are doing that leads to your question, and the results you expect to see.

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610 USA
TEL: +1-949-588-9997
FAX: +1-949-588-9514
www.renkus-heinz.com
mailto:jim@renkus-heinz.com
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
ambupe

ok, I have already sent the pack project. I hope you can help me with it, please!!

thanks a lot.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Jim Mobley

I have not received any e-mails from you. Please try again.

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
www.renkus-heinz.com
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
ambupe

that rare. Iīll try again to jim@renkus-heinz.com address.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Jim Mobley

I still have not received anything from you. It is not being caught in a Spam or Junk filter, as I have checked them. You are not trying to send large attachments are you? We have a 5 MB file size limit, but packed projects are typically a few hundred KB at most.

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
www.renkus-heinz.com
Re: Rare total SPL mapping
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

ambupe wrote:
I read that audience areas canīt be above loudspeakers. But i donīt know why. I have 4 loudspeakers with diferents heights ( 1.25 m and 1.4 m) and Iīm interested on that height. could be relating with??

It is simply that the sound from the loudspeakers must come from above, rather than from below. Audiences areas will not show any sound coming from below them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:02 am Reply with quote
Jim Mobley

Of course, that's clear, but I'd like to see what else might be going on.

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
www.renkus-heinz.com
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Jim Mobley

Dear Amor,

I've looked at your model and you have several problems.

1) EASE can model one and only one acoustic space, you have a couple of smaller rooms with no connection to the main space. (I see that you have doors there, but the "doors" are closed with faces.)
2) EASE does not model transondance of faces; faces completely block sound transmission. (With Shadow Cast switched on.)
3) The loudspeakers are below the audience areas. As Bruce has already explained, areas map only on the top and loudspeakers must either be above the area or above the extended plane of the area in the case of sloped areas. Listener seats do not have the limitation that speakers must be above them, so you will see very different results mapping to seats rather than to areas.
4) In standard mapping the assumption is made that statistical acoustic metrics are valid, i.e. that the room has an even distribution of absorption and a homogenous reverberant field. Total SPL is the summation of the direct and reverberant fields, as the reverberant field is assumed to be constant throughout the room, it's value will not change anywhere in the model, regardless of the subdivisions you've made to the space. In your model, when mapping to areas, as the loudspeakers are below the areas, Direct SPL = 0 dB everywhere and as the reverberant field is assumed constant, total SPL at 1 kHz, 1/3 octave is 87 dB everywhere, with all loudspeakers on.
5) By making your interior partitions two-fold, you've "tricked" EASE into closing the room, but statistical calculations are still not valid for this condition.

To do the study you want to do, you must leave statistical acoustics and use one of the Ray Tracing computations, either Ray Tracing, Find Impacts or AURA if you have it. Due to the length of the required computations, I recommend that you compute to listener seats even in AURA. Keep in mind that you will still have the issue that EASE cannot compute transondance, however, if you "open" the doors, you can get an approximation of how much energy comes in through the openings.

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
www.renkus-heinz.com
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4