AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Help with Faces
Help with Faces
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
samp17

Hi,
I am relatively new to Ease, and am currently running 4.3. I have a CAD file of a theatre that the architects have forwarded to me that I would like to import but currently having tremendous difficulty. If I import it normally I have loads of problems with stacked vertices and holes, and the rest of the problems with the file.
However if I import just the structure (vertices and edges) it imports fine and has no holes and is a good file. Is there any possible way of adding faces automatically to closed edges? Either that or any suggestions on how to import the file into a useable EDGE project. I would be quite happy to share my CAD drawing if anybody can help me convert it. Otherwise it will take absolutely hours of drawing faces on.

Also, I'm not sure if it is just a problem with my version of EASE, but if I turn the drawing it automatically zooms all of the way out, and then I have to turn it zoomed out and then zoom back in which is a bit of a problem every single time I want to edit something. Is there anyway just to turn the drawing without zooming all the way out again.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

Hello,

the "Auto-Zoom" is customizable. In your Edit Project Data window, chose File -> Options (F9). Under View you'll find Auto Refit. Deselect the Full After Turn checkbox.

About the importing, I'm also relatively new to EASE. Can you send me the drawing so I can try? I'm almost sure I can help, but I don't have experience enough to tell you what to do without seeing the drawing.

Very Happy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:22 am Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

By the way, did you already see the tutorial available on Renkus Heinz website?
www.renkus-heinz.com

It has a chapter covering Import/Export DXF
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
samp17

Thanks for your help. I have emailed you a link to the DXF CAD file that I need importing and to a useable rendering state. Thank you
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

Sam,

as usual when getting CAD files from Architects your drawing has far too much details. There are other rooms in it beside the auditorium (like a toilet!), very detailed seats and even persons! If you have AutoCad, I think would be interesting to go there and "filter" your drawing.

- Restrict your drawing to the auditorium you want (you might want to work with a copy of your original file);

- Freeze, turn of or delete the unnecessary details.

- EASE is only interested in the inside faces! Get rid of the outside faces. After leaving AutoCAD and going to EASE, you can try to do this by using the Waste Outside Faces function (in the Import DXF/SKP dialog). EASE will try to figure out what Faces are part of your Room and waste everything that is outside it. This is import since EASE uses the surface area for some calculations (like Sabine or Eyring RTs).

Alternatively, you could also keep the original file and draw a sketch of your room in it, using a separate layer (in AutoCad). You would use your original file as a reference to draw a simplified model for EASE. You then import only this sketch.

You can also do it in EASE. Import only the structure and draw the faces you think make sense. You would again use your original file as a reference.

Please keep in mind that the number of faces is, mainly for AURA calculations, strongly related to the calculations time. And also, for a large room, very little details (like a skirting) should not contribute considerably for the acoustics. But would increase the number of faces. This kind of details should also be avoided (as faces!). You can let it as EDGES. EDGES in EASE has no acoustical properties and do not alter the calculations time! I know you might want to insert the seats in your EASE drawing to look nice to your client. This is how you should do it, importing as edges.

I hope it is helpful.

Regards,
Pedro

AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4