AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> dxf import - problem with AURA
dxf import - problem with AURA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
thesoundlab

hey everybody. I'm quite new to this forum.

I have a problem using AURA Mapping 2D. It says that AURA is not available with open rooms. "Please close Room first". Of course I checked it in EASE Room Edit in advance and it said "well done", so there shouldn't be any holes in my model. The faces' normals also seem to be ok.

The background is, that I used blender to create the room, I exported the model as DXF and imported it into EASE. It worked quite well so far concerning the measurements, vertices, faces, etc (well... it seemed), but now I get this error message when I start the AURA Mapping 2D module.

Has anyone had the same experience and/or a solution for this issue? Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Germany
tommy
EASE 4.3.9.72
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:53 am Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

Hello Tommy,

Please check if the option Room Open is UNchecked. You can find it in the Edit Project module, menu Edit > Room Data.

HTH,
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
thesoundlab

hello HTH,

a very useful hint! thank you very much! importing DXF models from blender and simulating them with the AURA module works flawlessly now.

best regards,
tommy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

HTH = Hope This Help Wink
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
thesoundlab

oops..! I see. I'm not really familiar with these abbreviations. I must admit I didn't read your signature which surely is your name. sorry!

Anyway, here's another question: CG programs automatically triangulate (or at least "quadrangualte") surfaces/faces. In EASE of course faces don't have to be triangulated or "quadrangulated" while modeling. A face can be defined by many vertices. Here's the question: Does the imported triangulated model slow down the computations (i.e. AURA) because of a higher amount of surfaces, or does it even speed it up, supposing that EASE anyway does the triangulation internally before computing (i.e. AURA again). Do you know what I mean?

Thanks again!
Tommy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

I would expect the best performance from a model with fewer faces, rather than trying to guess which set of triangles EASE would need.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
thesoundlab

I agree that fewer faces mean less intersection computing, but correct me if I'm wrong, EASE has to divide a surface defined by let's say 5 vertices into 3 triangles before being able to start computing the intersections with the surface(s), right? so tesselation of the model has to be done prior to computing. Now it would be quite interesting to know if it's helpful/faster to use a triangulated model in advance or if it's just a marginal difference because i.e. AURA does that quite fast before computation starts.
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4