AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> OpenGL Graphics Card Compatibility
OpenGL Graphics Card Compatibility
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
tpl

Hello. I just purchased a laptop with an Nvidia Quadro FX 770M as the video card. I ran through the OpenGL tests in EASE/Tools/OpenGL Test Utility. Every test but the "Quad View" test passed - my card was not refreshing or redrawing the screens when their sizes were changed, maximized, etc.

So, in the OpenGL Settings dialog, I've tried both "Default Hardware Format" or "Known Format" set to Pixel Format "7", which I think is what the test utility was recommending for my card. However, using either of these hardware settings, 3-D mapping in EASE does not work. The wireframe displays fine as does 2-D mapping, except for a legend non-refreshing issue when the mapping is rotated or resized (force redraw and automatic refresh options don't seem to fix this either). But the 3-D mapping window only displays black - no room geometry no color map, only a legend which does refresh by the way.

So the only current way EASE is working for me graphically is if I use the "Default Software Format" option. Then, however, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting much if any hardware acceleration.

Is there any way I can remedy this? I have a nice video card, but can't seem to be able to use it. Have any tests been done on this card? Maybe I'm using the wrong pixel format. Should I try playing with the custom settings in my video card control panel?

Just curious if anyone has encountered this or has any suggestions. Thank You.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

Generally the "Default Software Format" is the best choice. In the early days of OpenGL (10 years ago) HW Format was more beneficial. Now the amount of effort required in EASE for the display is not so great relative to the speeds of the computer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
tpl

Thanks for the reply, Bruce. It is slightly disappointing that one of the hardware options doesn't work because the video acceleration was indeed better than the software option. Of course that was for everything except 3D mapping, which is not helpful at all. So, I guess software it is. Thanks again!
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4