AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 5 -> Selection Sets falls short
Selection Sets falls short
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:19 am Reply with quote
Roberto de la Mata

Hello all.

With the introduction of the Selection Sets functionality in Ease 5 it seemed that the use of a very powerful tool was opened,
but finally it has become almost inconsequential.

Our specific case:
In first version of our project we have first build a spiral staircase from scratch. But in a recent update we must to rotate complete block 90º clockwise.
[img]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bzpl0FI2QaokJmiquNI4cP5yz7T2K-rG/view?usp=sharing[/img]

It seems to be impossible with Ease 5,
- We can move, duplicate, mirroring Selections Sets, but there is no way to rotate them.
- In Ease 4 we could export custom specific elements as ASCII data (or other formats), edit this externally in an empty project (or 3rd party software) and reimport in the project; but in Ease 5 we can do nothing with Selection Set, we only can export complete project to Ease4 format (neither in dwg), which is completely unusefull in that case.

We must to reconstruct from scratch a 150 faces element because we haven't yet any tool to achieve this simple functionality ?

Thanks for the attention.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Roberto de la Mata

So we suggest these useful features for Selection Sets Wink :

- Could export them (as ASCII, DWG, etc..) like EASE 4 would using Objects (Very Important for daily work!)
- Rotate them
- Clone them, assigning cloned objects to a new Selection Set; or at least leave the new cloned objects selected, instead of the original ones, so it will be easy to assign them to a new Selection (now if we copy a Selection Set, in the same place for example, there is no way to directly select new objects using frame selection)
- Apply 'boolean' operations with Selection Sets. Now we can join selections indirectly, but it would be great if we could substract one Selection Set from another, or intersect them.
- Hide/Show elements of Selection Sets in the room model
- Apply custom formatted names to items in a selection
- Assign all selected loudspeakers to a Processing Block with a single click (now one by one)

It would be great to know what other users think, and you could add other desired features as well Smile

Regards!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:44 am Reply with quote
AFMG Silke Bögelein

First of all, we like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

We do agree, that feature requests are of great value. I can already tell, that the option to rotate elements will be available in one of the next releases. It soon will also be the case, that after dublicating selections, the dublicates will then be selected automatically, to enable creating a new selection set as a next step.

We also think that hide and show specific Elements and assigning all selected loudspeakers to processing blocks would be very helpful features.

May I ask what use cases for you would be to substract or intersect Selection Sets and to add custom formatted names? It would help as a lot to get a better understanding of our costumers workflows and needs.

Regards,

Silke
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
Roberto de la Mata

[quote="AFMG Silke Bögelein"]
May I ask what use cases for you would be to substract or intersect Selection Sets and to add custom formatted names? It would help as a lot to get a better understanding of our costumers workflows and needs.
[/quote]

Hi Silke,

They are great news you aer being considering add some of these features in next updates (asap Wink )

About your questions;
- In some projects, we have classified speakers using Selection Sets by floors and also by type, with each speaker belonging to a floor group and a type group. It would be useful for me to be able to select speakers from a specific floor and type (intersection); or within a floor, be able to select all speakers that are not of a specific type (subtraction).
- In our projects, we usually specify identifying names for the speakers (a habit inherited from previous versions of Ease's workflow) so that we can properly identify them later. If I change the name of a newly created speaker, I would like the next one I create to continue with the same naming convention, or at least continue the numbering, instead of reverting back to the original 'Lspk XX' naming and original numbering XX (although now duplicating elements adds ' - XX', I'm not sure if that's good); this makes modifying the names one by one very tedious. Before, with the use of element tables, sets of elements could be selected and the naming convention could be changed for all at once by adding prefixes or suffixes; in this version, it would be good to be able to at least add prefixes/suffixes to selected elements or within a Selection Sets.

Regards.
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 5