AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> any recommend of C80 value?
any recommend of C80 value?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
ah82318

Hi: I have a project of small live house acoustic performance, the music type of bands play in the live house was rock, punk, post rock, pop...etc.
I want to know the suitable C80 value for the rock music. In EASE tutorial, the recommend value was6+/-2dB, but I didn't see the value come from which reference.
any reference for recommend the value which was suitable of rock music? Very Happy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Alexis

Hi!

the original paper where this parameter is described is in german, but there must be a proper translation, anyway here is the name:

[Abdel Alim, O.:Abhängigkeit der Zeit- und Registerdurchsichtigkeit von raumakustischen Parametern bei Musikdarbietungen (Dependence of time and register definition of room acoustical parameters with music performances) Dissertation, TU Dresden 1973

For what I know a good value for modern music should be over +6dB.

Best

Alexis
https://acusticaenespanol.blogspot.de/
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:51 pm Reply with quote
thomas

Hi,
you can't find anything about rock, punk, post rock in the original paper, mentioned by alexis. But it is interesting to read anyway.

In the EASE Help I find:
Quote:

Appendix A: Acoustic Formulae > Room-acoustical Fundamentals for Auditoriums and Concert Halls (reprint of chapter 6.1 and 6.2 of AHNERT/TENNHARDT/6.0/) > 6.2 Room-acoustical Criteria used in AURA, Requirements > 6.2.2 Energy Criteria

The value for a good clarity measure C80 depends strongly on the musical genre. For romantic music, a range of approximately
-3 dB <= C80 <= +4 dB
is regarded as being good, whereas classic and modern music will allow values up to + 6..8 dB.
According to Höhne and Schroth /6.14/, the perception limit of clarity measure differences is about &#916;C80 &#8776; ± 3,0 dB.

I think the values of +4..+8 dB should be proven with the PA, not with a sphere (striktly speaking C80 is defined for a sphere) and for the 1kHz Octave (with a positive increase over the frequency, no decrease should occur at least).

Thomas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Agustín Arias

You should read the book "Rock and Pop Venues: Acoustic and Architectural Design" of Niels Werner Adelman-Larsen
Niels is an excellent reasercher and acoustician, I met him in the ICA 2016 in Buenos Aires. You can contac him via facebook for any questions you have

agustin.arias@outlook.com
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4