AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Simulation of anechoic chambers... is it possible?
Simulation of anechoic chambers... is it possible?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Vanesa

Dear all,

is it possible (or does it make sense) to simulate anechoic chambers with EASE?

According to "recent" paper ("Computerised planning aid for the design of anechoich chambers", 2004), it is possible to simulate the sound pressure level decay in such a room using the mirror sources algorithm. Ignoring phase changes, I assume that this is also possible with EASE. If this is possible, a further question would be which sound absorption coefficients to use, i.e., reverberant chamber vs. standing wave tube measurement.

Do you have any experience in this topic?

Many thanks for any ideas, remarks... and of course for your time Smile

Best,

Vanesa
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
mannequinhead

I would say that, no, it doesn't make sense to simulate an anechoic chamber with Ease. When creating an audio simulation (aka. auralisation), you should be using .wav files that were recorded in anechoic chambers so that there is no room sound associated with the recording. Therefore, there would be no reason so simulate an anechoic recording played back into an anechoic chamber. If you did all of your modeling correctly, the resulting .wav file should basically be the same as the input .wav file. I suppose the only reason someone may want to do this is to get a clear auralisation of what a specific virtual loudspeaker sounds like in a completely dead room. That could be a valuable test for comparing a dry audio input signal to a dry speaker output signal, now that I think about it. Hmm, I might have to try this Smile
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4