AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> AFMG SysTune -> IR Delay, peak is before 0ms
IR Delay, peak is before 0ms
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
EricC

Hi,

I just recently downloaded the demo of Systune and have been going through the tutorials. I am using an Mbox as my interface with windows xp. Buffer is set to 256 samples, using ASIO drivers. My protools version is 6.9 which is pretty old so these aren't the most current drivers but I can't upgrade without causing problems running my version of protools according to digidesign's website.

When I run an IR with all the settings as described in the tutorial(3sec FFT,3 sec Pink, 1 avg, Reference set to out) the peak of the IR is before 0ms. It is right around -15ms which seems strange to me. I am just practicing with the software right now so I am using my home studio monitors and the measurement mic is placed very close to the monitor about a foot away. The data I am getting seems to be fine with this delay though I am really new to measurement so I may be mistaken. I am going to try this software out tomorrow with a sound system at a show so I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. My goal is to be able to correctly align a 3 way JBL SRX725/728 system with 715 centerfills with an Ashly 4.24c processor.

My measurements seem to work fine with this delay setting and I realize I will have a different delay with the sound system tomorrow. I just wanted to check with people that know more about it than I do to make sure I wasn't completely offbase. Thanks!

Eric
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Jim Mobley

Hi Eric,

Check your delay offset. You may have a positive value entered there.

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610 USA
TEL: +1-949-588-9997
FAX: +1-949-588-9514
www.renkus-heinz.com
mailto:jim@renkus-heinz.com
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
EricC

Jim,

Thanks for helping. I have been zeroing out the delay offset before doing the IR measurement. I've had a chance to play with the software at a couple gigs now. With the mic close to the main stacks(say <10 ft) I still get a negative delay. When back at FOH its on the positive side. I'm still not sure if I trust the data I'm getting 100%. But for the most part it correlates to what I'm hearing.

I'm going to try sending the pink noise out to the mixer and then back into an input of the Mbox and see if that clears up the delay problems.

Eric
AFMG Network Forum Index -> AFMG SysTune