AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> AFMG EASERA -> Available hardware -- minor limitations
Available hardware -- minor limitations
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
jamin

I am knee deep in trying to select an outboard unit to use with EASERA. I have reviewed the list and am still confused. BTW, I am easily confused Confused

When I look at, for example, the RME FF800, I note that it gets a grade of B and is listed as recommended with minor limitations.
Later in comments we have listed:

External Mixer Control: Make sure the Input is off at -oo.
If you cannot use the device, connect the device and switch it on before the computer is booted.

and I wonder if these are the minor limitations ? If so, then this unit is suitable for MLS and TDS correct?

Ultimately I need to be able to have at least 4 mic inputs ( preferably more) and would like them to have programmable gain for the mic inputs - a la RME FF400.

I looked at the Presonus Firestudio ( not programmable gain mic) but realized it wasn't even in the list - so nix that one. Any other suggestions appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

jamin wrote:
Later in comments we have listed:

External Mixer Control: Make sure the Input is off at -oo.
If you cannot use the device, connect the device and switch it on before the computer is booted.

and I wonder if these are the minor limitations ? If so, then this unit is suitable for MLS and TDS correct?

Not TDS, the EASERA Gateway is the only HW device that is available for TDS.

Quote:
Ultimately I need to be able to have at least 4 mic inputs ( preferably more) and would like them to have programmable gain for the mic inputs - a la RME FF400.

I would look at the possiblity of two FF400 units. You could maybe run one in standalone mode with it's line outputs Smile feeding inputs 3-4 on the FW connected FF400. I don't believe we have yet tested whether the multiple unit capability will work for EASERA measurements.

Last edited by Bruce on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Re: Available hardware -- minor limitations
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
jamin

Bruce,
Thank you for the reply.

Quote:
I would look at the possiblity of two FF400 units. You could maybe run one in standalone mode with it's line inputs feeding inputs 3-4 on the FW connected FF400. I don't believe we have yet tested whether the multiple unit capability will work for EASERA measurements.

I am sure you meant output to input Smile When you say multiple unit capability do you mean multi-unit via an ADAT (AES, MADI,...) type of connection?

Is the limitation here primarily because EASERA does not provide a "by acquisition channel" type of calibration capability?

I guess I could forgo the programmable gains and shoot for the FF 800 thereby saving some $500 US. Or heck if it is kludge time then a pair of Gateways would save more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:32 am Reply with quote
Bruce

jamin wrote:
Bruce wrote:
I would look at the possiblity of two FF400 units. You could maybe run one in standalone mode with it's line outputs feeding inputs 3-4 on the FW connected FF400. I don't believe we have yet tested whether the multiple unit capability will work for EASERA measurements.

When you say multiple unit capability do you mean multi-unit via an ADAT (AES, MADI,...) type of connection?

No I mean that RME allows multiple units to be connected, IIRC, but I have not tried it.

Quote:
Is the limitation here primarily because EASERA does not provide a "by acquisition channel" type of calibration capability?

No, EASERA has separate calibrations per channel, the issue is that the hardware needs to support multiple units linked via FireWire.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:19 am Reply with quote
jamin

Ok, thank you.
I will have to continue my study since I had thought there was only a single global "system calibration" type of file. I admit I am still a wee bit fuzzy there. If you can associate different system cal files for each simultaneously acquiring input that is wonderful. And we get mic calibration files as well -yippee.

I understand the multiunit via firewire now. A lot of the reading I have done has people connecting multi-mic units via ADAT to a single FW connected box. This is done since the multi-mic units with Adat are less expensive than having the firewire interface also. As well, it appears that multi units connected all via FW seem to be somewhat problematic. Not talking any particular app here just seems to be a connection type that is generally skipped.

Understandably however, if some of the mics are connected to the FW unit and others connected to a second device with ADAT plumbing then there would be an additional latency added for those channels due to the ADAT pipe transmission mechanism even though all conversions are in sync ( word clk, etc). So far it seems that the DAW software(s) out there allow a mechanism to sample align all the stuff (<-- highly evolved technical term). I'm guessing that is part of the automagic in the system cal.

Again, thanks for your time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:08 am Reply with quote
Waldemar

Hello Jamin,

we have tested the stacked FF400 extensively.
Our conclusion is, that this works very well.
The connection between the devices is done by FW cable and BNC cable for word clock.
After connecting three FF400 the ASIO driver will report one device with 24 anlog outputs and 24 analog inputs (including six Mics with phantom power supply)
All channels are exactly synchronous like you had only one device!

Although the device got mark A, it is not allowed to to TDS measurements up to now!
BTW the FF800 offers 4 Mic Preamps with phantom power.

AFMG Network Forum Index -> AFMG EASERA