AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Running EASE 4.x on an Intel Mac
Running EASE 4.x on an Intel Mac
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

On Friday, 9/22/2006 11:38:48 PM, Arthur Skudra wrote:

Installed EASE 4.1 with AURA.  It works great, actually the calculations seem faster in Parallels than my P4 desktop!  I will say that installing from 4.0 disks, then doing the online updates seemed to require more reboots of windows within Parallels than I remember before, I found that after each update, I had to reboot in order for the update program to correctly sense a newer version out there, but after doing this several times, my installation is fully up to date, and working great.  Yeah, some of the 3D plots had some of the same sluggishness I sensed with AutoCAD, but it didn't really bother me at all.  I was just delighted to have EASE running on a Macintosh, rivaling the speed of a P4 desktop.  I haven't had a chance to test every single feature out, but so far I have not had any trouble doing 2D or 3D mapping, or building a model. Just the danged right click annoyance...

So my initial conclusions are:
  1.  Parallels desktop works absolutely fantastic for 2D programs, a bit sluggish, but for the most part very acceptably for 3D.  This could be improved with a future release of Parallels desktop (and Open GL is one of the most requested features).  Pretty much all the windows software I have works fine in Parallels desktop (at least what I have seen thus far in the past week), with the exception of USB audio interfaces.

2.  Anything requiring USB audio is best left for Bootcamp. I have pretty much decided that for most of my design work, Parallels works great.  For any testing work, I prefer to use bootcamp.

3.  I haven't had a chance to test any USB to serial adapters yet, but will do so soon.

4.  I'm hoping I can figure out a solution for the right button on my external optical mouse in Parallels.  It works perfectly in bootcamp Windows and OSX, but doesn't work in Parallels. I think the team at Parallels is working on better USB support, so I won't wear out my CTRL key yet.  In the meantime, I have gotten used to this minor inconvenience.

5.  I haven't experimented with copying and pasting between parallels and OSX, but will certainly give it a shot.  Sharing files between the two is easy once you have it figured out.

6.  When at my office, I find having an external monitor really helps.  This way I can have Parallels Desktop on one monitor, and OSX on the other monitor.

7.  I have heard that having more than 1GB of RAM really speeds things up when running Parallels.  I'll be testing this out next week after I upgrade my computer.

My final "MacAddict" rating for running windows in Parallels and Apple Boot Camp: Freakin' Awesome!  Surprised)

Will report back any other findings, when I have the chance.

AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4