AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Running EASE 4.x in Linux
Running EASE 4.x in Linux
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:32 am Reply with quote
tgarson

Yah, Yah, I know EASE is not supported etc, etc....

So, the question is: Can I get any help, official or UNofficial, on this quest via the SDA Network?

My platform of choice is Suse 10.2 Linux. for X86_64. I already have EASE working just peachy in WinXP running in a VMware box on Linux. It is noticeably slower, but still very usable.

But, I want MORE!

I want to be able run EASE Directly in Linux via Wine. To that end, I have directly installed EASE 4.2 in my Suse box using Crossover Office (Wine with additional support). Ease starts up with a popup window that says "Invalid Machine Code". If I click "OK", I then get the Ease Main Window. If I click on EASE Viewer, I again get the "Invalid Machine Code" message, which goes away when I click "OK". EaseView then opens and I can successfully load and manipulate an .egl file. It's not perfect, but Wine is a work in progress and is steadily improving.

Since EASE 4 works in a VMware session, I know that DirectX 9 is not a requirement (hooray!), so I believe that what I am attempting is not really all that far fetched. Both DesigncAD 3D and Intellicad work in Crossover Office Wine.

How can I get rid of the "Invalid Machine Code" popup?

I regularly use NetOp Remote for Windows in Wine to remotely control a PC at work over the internet, plus IE 6 and Firefox (for Windows) both work perfectly, so I know that the networking support in Wine is good. However, when I try to register EASE, I get the "Invalid Machine Code" popup before Ease Guard starts (after clicking "OK"). Once in Ease Guard, clicking Info gets me the following error message: "Error <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">: Could not establish connection!"

If I try to create a license file, I get "Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range".

I am willing to keep beating my head against this if there is any interest at ADA in trying to get it to work.

(Some people stick pins through their flesh for a good time. I do software testing and debugging. Sometimes I'm not sure there's much difference.)

Tom G.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Frank Siegmann

Hi Thomas,

thank you for inform us about the problems you encountered of.

Apparently in a Linux/Wine configuartion the EASE copy protection system isn't able to obtain the needed information to generate a unique machine code. Because it seems to be a general compatibility problem, there isn't a quick solution available.

But we appreciate all contributions, which help us to improve the software - also regarding a better platform compatibility.

Frank Siegmann
AFMG
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4