AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Feature request: Show Distance Window changes
Feature request: Show Distance Window changes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
Arthur

I find the right mouse click menu options "Keep for distance" and "Show distance" feature absolutely invaluable!

However it would be really nice if the resulting "Show distance" window can remain in the background without having to "dismiss" it before doing other work on the model. Right now, I can't do anything further on my model until I click the OK button, then the information disappears!

What I'd like it to do is stay open so that I can then issue a duplicate, extrude, or displace command, type in the appropriate data from the "show distance" window, then being able to issue the command. Sorry, but I just don't trust my short term memory, and writing down numbers on a scrap piece of paper is slow and cumbersome!

What would be even cooler is if I can have multiple "Show distance" windows open, so that I can compare different distances in the model. What would be coolest is a button in the duplicate, displace, or extrude windows that would extract the x,y,z data from the "Show distance" window and put it into the appropriate slots for displacement. I'm not asking too much, am I? Very Happy
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:50 am Reply with quote
Peter Patrick

Hi Arthur,
I have been using EASE for mabe 5 yrs and have never used those features.

I do use my HP 41C calculator a lot whan building a room to do the rectangular to polar conversion and vice versa. so quite often I will insert just one vertice in a model at the start then copy vertices again and again in whatever direction is required. In fact distances are not super critical ... Ron Sauro ... you there Ron?? I recall noted that if you had the surfaces within about 50mm the model was pretty good. OTOH surfaces smaller than 500mmX 500 mm are not going to be significant in a large room. .... mostly .... unless they're placed in an array.

So mabe there are not so many people modelling the same way as you are ??
I'm obviously not modelling the same way because I've never used that sequence of instructions.

Mabe you're on to something ... I dunno.

Best Regards
P.J.P.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Arthur

Heh, Peter, that's how I *used* to do it! Calculator in hand, I'd be clicking away on vertices and punching in numbers to figure out the displacement, taking notes on a scrap piece of paper! When attending an advanced EASE seminar with Bruce Olson and Bob Coffeen, they demonstrated this nifty feature hiding in the right click menu. One of those "slap hand on forehead" moments where I asked myself, why, after using EASE consistently for several years, didn't I ever notice this feature before?? I'm sure there are some other cool tricks hiding on me waiting for my discovery. Very Happy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:02 am Reply with quote
Peter Patrick

Well I still don't see how you can set out a mitred set of bleachers at 30 degrees Mitre rising 500mm at a time with a 1000mm step width any faster than by calculating the x/y coordinates and copying say 20 times for 20 rises.

You have to calculate the angle for the first step so why not make a multiple copy of it. ?? . For 45deg that would be copy X -0.71m, Y -0.71m, Z +0.5m repeated 20 times. Do that for two differnt values of height and your bleachers are set out.

I do use scraps of paper at times but right now I can't recall why so the next time I feel the urge I'll see if the clever trick helps.
It sounds like useful info.

I know I've been shown how to use the "Fixed Cut" process too but have forgotten so don't use it.

Aha ... now I remember .... I use scraps of paper to record the locations of points on the compass when inserting circular arrays. Then I enter those points directly into the circular array calculator.

I don't even try to select vertices with the pointer.

Best Regards
P.J.P.