AFMG Network
Forums for AFMG Software
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Forum Archive -> Rt-60 at Listener Seat
Rt-60 at Listener Seat
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Drew

Where can I find the Rt-60 option for Listener Seats in 3.0?

Thank You,

Drew

Re: Rt-60 at Listener Seat
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:57 am Reply with quote
Jim Mobley

> Where can I find the Rt-60 option for Listener Seats in 3.0?

> Thank You,

> Drew

Hi Drew,

The way to get a local RT time for a seat is to do a Ray Tracing, Find Impacts calculation for the seat and then perform a Schroeder Response calculation on the reflectogram in the Probe. You can do the Ray Tracing for as many seats as are in the project all at once and then look at each set in the Probe.

You need to set your Ray Tracing parameters to get sufficent information. Try 500,000 rays/loudspeaker, 19 orders and use a Sphere for the source.

As a note, you'll get better results with the AURA module in EASE 4.1; if this is something you need to do on a regular basis, you might consider upgrading.

Best regards,

Jim Mobley

Sr. Application Engineer

Renkus-Heinz, Inc.

19201 Cook St.

Foothill Ranch, CA 92610

TEL: 949-588-9997

FAX: 949-588-9514

www.renkus-heinz.com

mailto:jim@renkus-heinz.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Peter J. Patrick

> Where can I find the Rt-60 option for Listener Seats in 3.0?

> Thank You,

> Drew

Drew,

I believe Jim Mobley's answer is as comprehensive as might be had.

OTOH may I enquire why you want this information.

RT60 is NOT a precise metric.

It never was precise , is not precise now and never will be precise.

The standard methods for measuring it defer to this in the detail and yes .. RT60 varies from seat to seat in small increments.

RT60 also varies from time to time in the same seat.

Not to mention frequency band to frequency band at adjacent seats in adjacent time slots depending on silly things like how long it is since the heaters were turned on.

IMHO it is far more useful to run a thorough ray trace routine and view the major reflections (amplitude wise) to see which surfaces are involved. That way you can get a good notion of trouble causes for that location and make a reasoned judgement whether that problem might apply to a number of seats.

Hope this helps

Best Regards

Peter J. Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Drew

Having had no formal training, just 3 years of experience, I was using the *View Room Rt* for the general Rt time in 3.0. However I realized that data is not very accurate, and have found that 4.1 will allow time decay calculations on seats. This method seems to give a better representation of the reverb situation. Unfortunately I have no experience with the advanced features of EASE 4.1 and therefore do not know how to accurately use them.

Good day,

Drew

>> Where can I find the Rt-60 option for Listener Seats in 3.0?

>> Thank You,

>> Drew

>Drew,

>I believe Jim Mobley's answer is as comprehensive as might be had.

>OTOH may I enquire why you want this information.

>RT60 is NOT a precise metric.

>It never was precise , is not precise now and never will be precise.

>The standard methods for measuring it defer to this in the detail and yes .. RT60 varies from seat to seat in small increments.

>RT60 also varies from time to time in the same seat.

>Not to mention frequency band to frequency band at adjacent seats in adjacent time slots depending on silly things like how long it is since the heaters were turned on.

>IMHO it is far more useful to run a thorough ray trace routine and view the major reflections (amplitude wise) to see which surfaces are involved. That way you can get a good notion of trouble causes for that location and make a reasoned judgement whether that problem might apply to a number of seats.

>Hope this helps

>Best Regards

>Peter J. Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Stefan

Hi Drew,

you make a good point. The local decay time mapping function is one of new ones in EASE 4. So even without AURA you are able to run a quick RT overview without going to the Probe. However, consider that these reverb times are not taking into acount any sound sources, just the receiver location and the wall materials. Therefore there may be small differences if highly directed sources are used or the room geometry is complex. However, if the presence of a homogeneous diffuse field can be assumed, local decay times will work quite well.

Stefan

Rt-60 at Listener Seat
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Forum Archive