AFMG Network
Forums for AFMG Software
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Forum Archive -> Lake real time Convolving problem.
Lake real time Convolving problem.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:30 am Reply with quote
Tikendra Singh

Hi

I am a new user of EASE, and have version 4.1, I have been able to generate some good 3D models and work my way through mapping etc.

I have made some 3D models for testing the Lake real time convolving.

But the LAKE Real time convolving through the internal CD ROM player of laptop (T30 IBM) does not work. I have windows XP professional operating system installed on my laptop.

First I had problem with windows media player never used to work, I used to get error message Missing CDplayer.exe. This was resolved by copying Cdplayer.exe in to the windows directory. Now I have to use an external CD player and feed the signal to Line in to do the real time convolving.

It is extremely difficult to carry an external CDplayer to a client and make a presentation.

The second question I have is why the speech (male voice) after convolving sounds so metallic ( it sounds like he is speaking through a hollow pipe). To try out the effect of low RT on this issue I kept the RT time less than 0.5 second but still the male voice sounds as if he is speaking through a pipe I feel it should sound very close to dry sound if the RT time is 0.5 sec or less. I used both Ray tracing impacts and Aura module to do convolving I get almost the same results. Can some one explain what I can do to make it sound more natural.

If you could guide me on these issues it will be great.

Regards

Tikendra

Re: Lake real time Convolving problem.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Peter Patrick

>Hi

>

>I am a new user of EASE, and have version 4.1, I have been able to generate some good 3D models and work my way through mapping etc.

>

>I have made some 3D models for testing the Lake real time convolving.

>

>But the LAKE Real time convolving through the internal CD ROM player of laptop (T30 IBM) does not work. I have windows XP professional operating system installed on my laptop.

>First I had problem with windows media player never used to work, I used to get error message Missing CDplayer.exe. This was resolved by copying Cdplayer.exe in to the windows directory. Now I have to use an external CD player and feed the signal to Line in to do the real time convolving.

>

>It is extremely difficult to carry an external CDplayer to a client and make a presentation.

>

>The second question I have is why the speech (male voice) after convolving sounds so metallic ( it sounds like he is speaking through a hollow pipe). To try out the effect of low RT on this issue I kept the RT time less than 0.5 second but still the male voice sounds as if he is speaking through a pipe I feel it should sound very close to dry sound if the RT time is 0.5 sec or less. I used both Ray tracing impacts and Aura module to do convolving I get almost the same results. Can some one explain what I can do to make it sound more natural.

>

>If you could guide me on these issues it will be great.

>Regards

>Tikendra

Hello Tikendra,

I've always used the EARS convolution process rather than the Lake process for presentations. This is simply because it provides a *.wav file which you can play by inserting the file into a Powerpoint presentation. This allows several diffferent arrangements to be simulated and re-played instantly in a presentation.

The *voice in a pipe* problem is altogether news to me so I'm afraid I can't help with it.

The only suggestion I have is that you might check the echogram for discreet echoes. These can really ruin speech in a room with quite low RT60.

Hope this helps.

Peter J. Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Stefan

Hi Tikendra,

an internal CD player (or TV card etc) is automatically connected

with its output signal to the output channel of the internal sound card,

just to make its signal audible to the user.

The real time convolver, however, itself sends its signal to the output

channel of the sound card, to be audible as well, but expects the

CD signal (or TV etc) as a Windows mixer INPUT signal. Thus, you

may need to reconnect your CD player for convolution, or may

need a second sound card, or a duplex sound card to have both

channels running simultaneously.

Your Windows mixer must be set to suppress the original signal,

otherwise you hear both input and output of the convolver with a time

delay (echo).

Have a look a the FAQ section, EARS.

Stefan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote
Tikendra

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Actually by saying internal CD player I meant CD ROM, sorry for not being specific about it.

I have muted the mixer signal. But the problem is little different may be you would like to read my mail again and give me some more suggestions.

Regards

Tikendra

>Hi Tikendra,

>an internal CD player (or TV card etc) is automatically connected

>with its output signal to the output channel of the internal sound card,

>just to make its signal audible to the user.

>

>The real time convolver, however, itself sends its signal to the output

>channel of the sound card, to be audible as well, but expects the

>CD signal (or TV etc) as a Windows mixer INPUT signal. Thus, you

>may need to reconnect your CD player for convolution, or may

>need a second sound card, or a duplex sound card to have both

>channels running simultaneously.

>

>Your Windows mixer must be set to suppress the original signal,

>otherwise you hear both input and output of the convolver with a time

>delay (echo).

>