AFMG Network
Forums for AFMG Software
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Forum Archive -> New Wall/Floor Material Needed
New Wall/Floor Material Needed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote
David Bateman

Does anyone have a wall material defined for Ice? I am building an Hockey Venue and would like to use something other than terrazzo or smooth concrete for the floor, even though acoustically they would be comparable.

:David
Re: New Wall/Floor Material Needed
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:41 pm Reply with quote
josh evans

Whats wrong with just using concrete???
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Peter J. Patrick

>Whats wrong with just using concrete???

What's wrong with *Lake - Pond* ??

There's no reason you could not or indeed should not open *Lake-Pond* material and save it as *Ice*

That is ... I can see no reason why molten H2O ... water ... should offer different reflection coefficients to frozen H2O .... Ice...

I can see a potential for a different refraction coefficient because Ice can at times deform rather significantly from the surface of a lake but ....

Aren't we talking acoustics here ???

And shouldn't we maintain a grip on the reliability factor of the acoustic outcomes of the designs we provide ???

There are many factors outside the model which will / must at times render a different measured outcome to the predicted ... so what??

So shouldn't our calculations and texts include an element of reliability of calculation that would surely be inside the reliability of the construction techniques used. That is ... it doesn't matter how carefully we measure a products acopustics the final result depends on a carpenter's skill in assembling the design.

ie. We should work within a margin for error anyway!

And .... IF indeed there IS a difference between the absorption coefficents of *Water* and *Ice* is it significant??? ... depending largely on the % of surface area of the enclosed space occupied by the ice.

OTOH .... I would NOT call myself an accomplished Ice Skater by any means but I have endured a few falls. I can attest that the notion that Ice = smooth concrete is well founded.

Best Regards

P.J.P.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:59 pm Reply with quote
josh evans

>>I can attest that the notion that Ice = smooth concrete is well founded.

Peter thats funny Wink Refraction is the only difference I could think of as well.

cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
David Bateman

>>>I can attest that the notion that Ice = smooth concrete is well founded.

>Peter thats funny Wink Refraction is the only difference I could think of as well.

>cheers,

Thank you both for your input. Following the *concrete* model, perhaps smooth concrete after the Zamboni and rough 20 minutes later.

David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Peter Patrick

>>>I can attest that the notion that Ice = smooth concrete is well founded.

>Peter thats funny Wink Refraction is the only difference I could think of as well.

>cheers,

Josh,

Abrasion and bruising are not funny to the victim until at least a month after recovery.

Beyond that the refraction factor does not seem well modelled by EASE any more than isolation or diffraction around room corners or indeed the good old impossible reflection angle vs wavelength/ surface dimension of the reflecting surface.

All of which seems to make EASE the more remarkable for the accuracy it actually does deliver. (Yes I enjoy good correlation between design and results - provided I Input facts and not Garbage (GIGO))

Best Regards

P.J.P.

New Wall/Floor Material Needed
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Forum Archive