AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Evac -> Contiguous hallways, open doors & concrete ceiling
Contiguous hallways, open doors & concrete ceiling
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:20 pm Reply with quote
bryanduffel

Hello,
We've recently purchased the EVAC software and have been using it to develop intelligibility models on several projects and a few questions have arisen.

1: Long contiguous hallways through floors that contain connecting corridors through the space cannot be connected by "trimming" the intersection to reflect one space. Is this accurate?

2: We're theorizing that if we have corridors with offices connected, that we can model those offices off the hallway speakers provided the caveat that office door is open. Is this an accurate assumption? It also appears that this would be calculated in Total SPL, not Direct SPL.

3: Many high-rise residential buildings are being built here with concrete ceilings (open to deck) in the resident units. Is the concrete material a sufficient application, even though it specifically is called out as floor/wall?

Thank you for your time. Normally, I'm a fire alarm designer, not a sound engineer, so a lot of this is very new to me, albeit incredibly interesting.
Re: Contiguous hallways, open doors & concrete ceiling
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

These questions were also sent to support and answered there, I add the answers here for others to see.

bryanduffel wrote:
1: Long contiguous hallways through floors that contain connecting corridors through the space cannot be connected by "trimming" the intersection to reflect one space. Is this accurate?

There is no capability of linking separate rooms together. The corridor would need to be drawn with all linked corridors at one time. Also be aware that if the corridors create a donut, that is they circle back to themselves, that also can not be drawn. I usually treat those as separate rooms.

bryanduffel wrote:
2: We're theorizing that if we have corridors with offices connected, that we can model those offices off the hallway speakers provided the caveat that office door is open. Is this an accurate assumption? It also appears that this would be calculated in Total SPL, not Direct SPL.

EASE Evac does not know about any transmission between adjacent rooms or corridors. It is not possible at this time to model the effect of offices covered by loudspeakers in the corridors in EASE Evac.

bryanduffel wrote:
3: Many high-rise residential buildings are being built here with concrete ceilings (open to deck) in the resident units. Is the concrete material a sufficient application, even though it specifically is called out as floor/wall?

The absorption of concrete is the same no matter whether it is a Floor, wall, or ceiling.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
Lindsay S

I have never used EASE Evac but use EASE all the time. I think you are referring to only modelling a portion of a corridor and putting a face at each end of the section you model. I've done this a bunch and typically use a 100% reflective, 100% diffuse face at the ends. I did a test to see if there was a significant difference between modelling a full corridor and just a section. There was a slight difference at the ends but otherwise was far more accurate than not using reflective faces. It has to be really long corridor for this to be accurate or worthwhile.

Lindsay Smith
Seattle
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
thomas

[quote="Lindsay S"]... It has to be really long corridor for this to be accurate or worthwhile.[/quote]

What is really long in this context, or what would be too short?

PS: [OT] What is wrong with my quote tag?
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Evac