AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> EASE Jr. - Reverb. Times
EASE Jr. - Reverb. Times
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Jmin081

Hey all, fairly new to EASE (Jr) and brand new to the forum....

So I've been assigned the task of modeling a Main Sanctuary of a client of ours, and reporting the Reverberation Times of the room before and after acoustical panels being placed. Created the room, checked data, checked holes, viewed Room RT and saved the Window Image, all is well so far.

The first problem I encountered was placing the panels. I noticed the material of the panel already specified it's thickness (Fiberglass AF 100 2" Mounting 4) so I created the surface and specified which face/wall it is to be a coat of. The program did not let this fly as it said there are holes now.

My solution: re-create the face/wall around the area of the acoustic panel. The program accepted this approach. So I proceeded to replicated this method for the rest of the panels. Checked data, checked holes, viewed Room RT and saved the Window Image. The data was identical to before I added the panels.

I tried "Activating" every face of the room including the panels and viewing the Room RT, still no change. I've tried researching the tutorial PDF, this forum, and other sources online, with no solutions to my problem.

Can someone here kindly point me in the right direction, where did I go wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

J
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Jmin081

Update:

I still haven't made any progress on the Reverb Times, however I did figure out how to properly coat a face onto an existing face/wall. I had forgotten to set it to a two-sided face, silly me lol.

J
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
fsiegmann

May you can send your EASE project to support@afmg.eu . Then we can check the RT issue directly in the project.

Best Regards
Frank Siegmann
AFMG Support
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

Have you "closed the room"?

Edit Project module > Edit menu > Room Data. Uncheck Room Open if you have a closed model for correct calculations. Also, if the room is too big and the panels areas too small, you should not be able to see considerable difference between the RT before and after except for very low values shift.

HTH,
Pedro
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Jmin081

Quote:
Have you "closed the room"?

Edit Project module > Edit menu > Room Data. Uncheck Room Open if you have a closed model for correct calculations. Also, if the room is too big and the panels areas too small, you should not be able to see considerable difference between the RT before and after except for very low values shift.

HTH,
Pedro

Thanks Pedro- yes the room is "closed," made sure of that during the room creation process. The room is fairly large, however i have twenty 8'x4' panels spec'd in. I'm fairly certain that should make some sort of dent.

Quote:
May you can send your EASE project to support@afmg.eu . Then we can check the RT issue directly in the project.

Best Regards
Frank Siegmann
AFMG Support

I will send the files over, thank you for the contact info-

I really appreciate the feedback guys, I will post updates along the way.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Jmin081

Update:
With the help from Frank of AFMG, I found out that I had to first remove the panels completely from the project before I can get the proper readings for "without panels." Once I re-added the panels to the drawings I was able to notice differences in the room RT. Turns out I actually did not have enough panels to make significant changes (good call Perdo! Very Happy ) So I increased the number of panels from 20 to 100, minimizing the amount of drywall exposed. I now have a good idea of the numbers I needed to present to our client.
Thanks again to all that contributed to this learning experience!
-JY
Late reply
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Frank Ward

One thing I've done in the past to "check my answer" is to put in data where I have a known value. This will allow me to test the model (or equation or graph or whatever else...) to see if what I have constructed is working properly. When you have a reverberant room and you want to check to see that the reverb times are being calculated, change material properties for the biggest wall to absorber (or to mirror in the case of an absorbent material on that wall) and the numbers should move noticeably. If there is not a noticeable change in the reverb time then something else is probably wrong.