AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> do not manage to close holes of skp models
do not manage to close holes of skp models
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
alexis reymond

Hello everybody.
I'm struggling with my import of sketchup models.

I postponed the big model and i'm now working on what seems to me a simple model.

All the process of import works well and my skp model appears to be what i built. The problem is that everytime i want to close holes , it makes bug the room module which does not respond anymore.

Are there any rules of what to do and not to do when building up a skp model which will have to be imported into ease? or during the import process.

in advance thank you
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:37 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

Hi Alexis,

Have you already checked Renkus-Heinz EASE Tutorial?

http://www.renkus-heinz.com/support/software-support/ease_support/tutorials/tutorials.html

You might wanna take a look at the chapters 3 (constructing a model) and 6 (import and export).

HTH,
Pedro
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
alexis reymond

hi Pedro.
I took the time to do the tutorials and have therefore acquired a few constructing techniques in ease. Nonetheless i still find it much quicker and pleasant to do the job in skp. But apparently it doesn't work for me.
I' m gonna try another approach which is :
-draw the 2d plan (on top of the jpeg architectural plan) in skp and at at least save time on this stage.
- then import the 2d plan into easr and then extrude the volumes from here.
I hope this should avoid the "face mismatch" or "same vertices" problems i keep encountering.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

Alexis,

Independently on the tool you use, you must understand what EASE expects when you build a room. The same rules when constructing a model using EASE tools will apply to Sketchup. That is, you must be careful regarding the orientation of faces, missing faces, stacked faces, etc. An overview of the common errors that cause problems to close rooms can be found on the page 65 of the tutorial (make you sure you have the latest version. It has been updated).

Nonetheless, if you will, you can maybe send me your model so as I can take a look and suggest some modifications.

BTW, have you seen this post: http://afmg-network.com/viewtopic.php?t=1175&highlight=import+dxf

Also, in practice its not unsual importing an almost complete model instead of a complete model, and finishing into EASE. Which some times is faster. It will depend on the project. I see that you have suggested something similar on the post above. This is the way you should think.

HTH,
Pedro.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

For the people who are following this discussion, Alexis have sent the SKP model via e-mail and the following was answered:

"Hi Alexis,

Have you tried to import the attached skp model directly into EASE? You might really encounter some problems with it.

For instance:

- Bellow the stairs there are faces that mean nothing to EASE, since they are not part of the internal area of the room. They should be removed. Only internal faces should be used. It also apply to the floor elevation inside the building. If you take look at it from the bottom you will see that there are faces that are not the floor faces, that is, they are not part of the internal faces of the room. Look at the rectangular white face bellow the front windows. Notice that this face is also not part of the internal room due to the floor elevation. It should be removed.

- To make the process easier I guess that maybe I would insert the collums in EASE, using the extrude function and objects. It would make more sense inserting it after having the roof, since you will have to coate the collums base and top faces to the ceiling and floor faces.

- Why does your model doesn't have a roof?

Well, I think that there is already some work to be done with the above. That's why I've asked you to take a look at the tutorial. If you know how to model a room without problems in EASE, you will also know in Sketchup. The final model must "respect" the same rules.

BTW, I couldn't open your EASE project. Please always pack the projects before sending to third parties, this would make sure that all the related files will be included. To Pack a Project just click in File > Pack Projet, in the EASE Main window.

HTH."

Best Regards,
Pedro
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
PaulMalpasEA-d

Good reply, Pedro. i agree, I only ever use SketchUp,but it is invaluable to know what EASE needs in order o prepare the model accordingly. It would be nice if there was a little more automation on the import, such as the coating of column tops/bottoms as you mention, or the setting up of listener planes and speaker locations in SketchUp and having these picked up on the import. This would make SU a more useful place not only to create the geometry and finishes, but to amend the model as the architectural design responds to our findings. The more human intervention needed after each re-import, they less interactive the design goes.

Regards
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:49 am Reply with quote
Waldemar

Paul,

all EASE specialities, like the coating, listener seats, audience areas, speaker locations (and orientations) are taken in the import from SketchUp.
Of course the import has to know about it. That's why there are rules, to find the EASE items.
The easiest way to learn how it works is to open an example project in EASE and export it to SketchUp.
Here you will see how the materials, the seats, speakers,.. are seen in Sketchup.
You can create those items in your new SketchUp model then easily.

As example: If you have a colomn between bottom and ceiling, the column makes holes in the two faces in Skechup. If you impoert this, the coating of the down and upper ends of the column are ready in EASE.

EASE SU import of entities
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
PaulMalpasEA-d

Hi Waldemar

That is fantastic news. I had no idea EASE could import 'speaker locations, audience planes, seats etc from an especially coded SketchUp model, or that coated surfaces were dealt with OK.

Is there anywhere in the documentation that refers to these rules? I've looked through the hep PDF that came with EASE install, as well as the Renkus Heinz on-line tutorial, but there is no explanation of the conventions for 'speakers, seats, areas etc.

If I create 'speakers, seats, areas in my SketchUp model to follow the same conventions, will they get translated on import to the appropriate entity and, in the case of 'speakers, assigned the correct model?

If so, this is going to be a very powerful tool.

Best regards
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:49 am Reply with quote
Waldemar

Hi Paul,

the rules of how the EASE entities are coded are the same as for DXF. These rules are explained extensively in the in the manual chapter XIII, I think. May be we should create a separate text about this?
The best way to see it, how it works, is to export one EASE model and look into the skp model.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:45 am Reply with quote
PaulMalpasEA-d

Do you mean this part at the bottom of p613?

For Loudspeakers, Seats, Lamps, Emitters :
Block
- to read BLOCK s as EASE elements, they must reside on a layer with a
name that starts with “EASE” and then an arbitrary character (normally ‘-
‘); the next two characters decide if and to what kind of EASE Element
the BLOCK will be read.
- SP (eakers) or LO (udspeakers) Speaker
SE (ats) Seat

I guess areas should be included in this list too.

You are right, I missed this as it is in the section on AutoCAD. Interesting to note that the 'speaker cases are ignored when re-imported, but the orientation and location is kept - very handy. I see that the default pairing for surface finishes is the layer name. For loudspeaker models, is it the block name?

I don't see anywhere explaining the feature where coplanar surfaces get automatically picked up as coatings, or the equivalent in SketchUp of the dual-sided face. Is this explained anywhere?

Best regards
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote
Waldemar

Hi Paul,

the two-folds are mentioned-> Two-Fold Face Coding
The EASE-AREAS folder hold the Areas.
The Skechup-Holes to coated is not documented, you are right.

We omit the CASES folders (like EASE-SP-CASES). If you rename that folder, the faces of the cases are imported as acousical active faces.
If you want to import cases into EASE, we recommend to import them from separate skp files.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
PaulMalpasEA-d

One last question.. The two-folds coding you mention refers to specifically how AutoCAD names front and back faces in the layer name. Are you saying that if we follow the sam procedure in SketchUp we will get the same result on import?

I am also interested to note the 'trim external surfaces' option available to AutoCAD users. Could this be extended to SU?

Regards
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Waldemar

Yes the coding is like in AutoCad. Place faces on a layer "abc $ def" and they are two-fold in EASE with "abc" is the front material, "def" is the rear material.
To use the more sophisticated Import Options of DXF-Import we recommend to do a DXF export first.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

Paul,

Although somewhat dated, you can find some more information at http://olsonsound.com/EASE/articles.html

One of these days I'll update it for SU as well.

AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4