AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Level definition - your experience
Level definition - your experience
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote
StaszekK

Dear All,

I have some doubts regarding level definition in EASE 4.3.

I am aware of the different approach between multitone (average) and broadband pinknoise (sum). The new broadband method is supposed to give results similar to on-site measurements.
However, based on our experience, pinknoise simulations tend to be a bit optimistic - up to 10dB (in broad band average) in comparison to measurements.
Also we've noticed that results from both simulation methods are most alike when SPL values are concentrated closely to the mean.

I wonder what are EASE users experiences in this matter? How your multitone and pinknoise simulations correlate with measurements?

Perhaps AFMG support could comment on that?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Jim Mobley

Loudspeaker power ratings are based on pink-weighted noise with a 6 dB crest factor. This is roughly half the crest factor of "normal" pink noise. And loudspeaker output levels are typically calculated values that ignore power compression due to voice coil heating. If you are using "normal" pink noise and turn up until the limiter lights just flash, your experience seems normal.

My standard explanation of broad-band, total SPL values is that these represent the value you would see with a SLM set to A-weighted, fast with the ALMA/EIA 426 B pink noise and level high enough that the limiters are engaged, not just being tickled. However, if you run this test for a long period, you may see levels drop as long-term thermal limiters engage.

https://almin.memberclicks.net/eia-426-b-power-rating-test-cd

This applies to Renkus-Heinz loudspeakers in EASE, some manufacturers are less conservative, you'll need to contact them for specific recommendations.

I'm not AFMG, but I know the standard response for any loudspeaker data questions, "Loudspeaker data is the property of and responsibility of the individual loudspeaker manufacturers."

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610 USA
TEL: +1-949-588-9997
FAX: +1-949-588-9514
www.renkus-heinz.com
mailto:jim@renkus-heinz.com
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4