AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> how to simulate a "helmholtz resonator" type wall?
how to simulate a "helmholtz resonator" type wall?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
alexis reymond

Hello.
I'm working on a quite complex model (and it's my first go on ease).
the room looks like an amphitheatre roofed with a double windglass dome .
The walls are made of concrete with a multitude of holes (square shape) of different surfaces which i presume are supposed to act as "helmholtz resonator" by allowing the sound to pass through and be absorbed by the acoustic absorber located at the back of the wall.
I think i've been over the top with my modelling (i used sketchup) by trying to faithfully reproduce the room and especially the holes in the wall which entitles my model with a generous 12000 faces!
As you can imagine it's pretty hard for ease to check holes and for me to be organised in my room.
As i understood unfortunately late in the forum, rooms should be designed in a much more simple way.
Before launching myself into a remodeling, could anyone give me a clue on how i could simulate the type of wall i mentionned above: concrete wall with evenly spaced square holes of different sizes covered at the back by an acoustic absorber.
Any ideas would be most welcome.
Alexis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:32 am Reply with quote
Waldemar

Hi,
you should use AFMG Soundflow to model that wall. The software will let you save an EASE wall material file then.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Lindsay Smith

The acoustician should give you the absorptive and scattering properties of the wall. I suspect that the anticipated properties of a 4' x 4' section would be a good start.

Open the Material Base program that should have been installed on your computer when you installed EASE.

Enter the absorption and scattering data into the table and save it as a new material type. The software can interpolate data if you don't have third octave predictions. If you have multiple styles of resonators, define a wall material for each.

Go back to your model and import the materials and then apply them to the appropriate faces.

Lindsay Smith
Seattle
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote
alexis reymond

Thany you very much for these answers.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Holger Schmalle

Hi,

if you can't get any information on the absorption and/or scattering properties of the wall you can estimate these:

Scattering:
- (rough estimate) Use EASE Calculator: Material Base -> Edit -> Calculate Scattering
- (more accurate estimate) Use AFMG Reflex (http://reflex.afmg.eu)

Absorption:
- Use AFMG Soundflow (http://soundflow.afmg.eu)

Both AFMG Soundflow and AFMG Reflex offer an EASE Material Export-Option in the Standard version.

Regards,
Holger
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4