AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Loudspeaker data explanation
Loudspeaker data explanation
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
plus or minus

OK, this loudspeaker data thing has got me really confused - I am sure somebody can explain and I am also confident that it is something straightforward but I am an idiot (of sorts...)

So, why is it that all (or most) the loudspeaker manufacturer data is flat? To me this can only mean one of a couple of things:

1. I am meant to download the spec sheet from the manufacturer and insert the peaks and valleys until the spectrum (in the properties box) looks right for SPL@1W,1m - then I can change power or SPL for ALL frequencies by the same amount. I find this option quite implausible though considering the amount of time it would take

2. It is assumed that somebody in the real world would eq the system so that the loudspeaker spectrum is flat, therefore you can leave it flat in EASE - this is totally implausible but I am putting it in here for giggles

3. I am missing the fundamental point of these properties - this is certainly the most likely response

4. The manufacturers were lazy but this is doubtful

The way I see it, if the spectrum input was that data as measured 1W/1m over the entire spectrum, I should be able to just increase Electrical power to required amount and not even have to mess with SPL data - i.e. the work should be done at the "simulated amplifier" in the properties tables (adjusting all frequencies by the same amount). Now I know that you can simply increase power equally over the entire spectrum but the issue I am having is that just about every speaker I load has a flat (or close to which I know isn't correct) response and therefore it means to create a "real" loudspeaker response, it requires different amounts of power input at different frequencies - this is ridiculous and not possible in the real-world (assuming a single driver).

Therefore, I already know the answer is that I have not understood the meaning of the loudspeaker data properties in EASE so somebody please clear this up for me.

Also, really quickly, if somebody can also tell me how to take the data changes from one loudspeaker and assign it (quickly) to other speakers (or all speakers), that'd be good. When using the "change to all" function in the mouse menu, it only changes the loudspeaker model but not the power properties. I am sure there is a quick function for this but the EASE manual is pretty bare in actually explaining how to use the software (in my opinion).

Long first post, sorry everyone.
Re: Changing Loudspeaker properties
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

plus or minus wrote:
Also, really quickly, if somebody can also tell me how to take the data changes from one loudspeaker and assign it (quickly) to other speakers (or all speakers), that'd be good. When using the "change to all" function in the mouse menu, it only changes the loudspeaker model but not the power properties.

If you create an Object that includes the loudspeakers you can do this using the Edit tab in the Object properties.

Quote:
I am sure there is a quick function for this but the EASE manual is pretty bare in actually explaining how to use the software (in my opinion).

Have you looked at the Tutorial, which is the one to look at for explanations of how to use the software. The manual is for descriptions of the menus and windows.

Last edited by Bruce on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Re: Loudspeaker data explanation
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

plus or minus wrote:
So, why is it that all (or most) the loudspeaker manufacturer data is flat? To me this can only mean one of a couple of things:

1. I am meant to download the spec sheet from the manufacturer and insert the peaks and valleys until the spectrum (in the properties box) looks right for SPL@1W,1m - then I can change power or SPL for ALL frequencies by the same amount. I find this option quite implausible though considering the amount of time it would take

This is already contained in the Sensitivity for each loudspeaker, that is for a 2.83V input, what level does the loudspeaker generate. Leading to ...

Quote:
2. It is assumed that somebody in the real world would eq the system so that the loudspeaker spectrum is flat, therefore you can leave it flat in EASE - this is totally implausible but I am putting it in here for giggles

Actually, that is the assumption, for the direct sound of the loudspeaker. Why do you find it implausible?

But going a little further, there may be modifications to this for a specific loudspeaker or group, like rolling off the lows of fill loudspeakers. You should do this depending on the actual use of the device.

Quote:
The way I see it, if the spectrum input was that data as measured 1W/1m over the entire spectrum, I should be able to just increase Electrical power to required amount and not even have to mess with SPL data - i.e. the work should be done at the "simulated amplifier" in the properties tables (adjusting all frequencies by the same amount).

I use the +- 1 and 10 dB buttons to do this.

Quote:
Now I know that you can simply increase power equally over the entire spectrum but the issue I am having is that just about every speaker I load has a flat (or close to which I know isn't correct) response and therefore it means to create a "real" loudspeaker response, it requires different amounts of power input at different frequencies - this is ridiculous and not possible in the real-world (assuming a single driver).

It certainly is possible, don't get hung up on the power amplifier. If you EQ a system, that changes the voltage for those frequencies, which then is reflected in the apparent differences in power sent to the loudspeaker at those frequencies.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:38 am Reply with quote
plus or minus

Thanks Bruce.

I guess what I meant was that it is implausible to think a 1/3 Octave graphic eq can flatten the reponse of a loudspeaker with peaks and valleys in narrowband.

Which again leads me to confusion on how EASE is working behind what you can control:

-If the loudspeaker data is inserted in narrow-band (I assume it is) and I control the 1/3 ocatave eq simulator in the power section to make a loudspeaker flat, what happens in the sinusoidal calculation in mapping (as opposed to 1/3 Octave). In other words, how much can I trust even doing a narrowband analysis (or is EASE taking care of all of this in the background - i.e. the loudspeaker response isn't actually flat even though my 1/3 power spectrum makes it appear so in the properties box).

I guess what I am really getting at is the ability to check a loudspeakers response in EASE in narrowband. Not for control (because that would be implausible) but for informational purposes.

If the loudspeaker data is only inserted as 1/3 Octave (I am not assuming this), then I don't see why the narrowband analysis is there.
Re: Changing Loudspeaker properties
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Ron Sauro

"If the loudspeaker data is only inserted as 1/3 Octave (I am not assuming this), then I don't see why the narrowband analysis is there."

EASE can also use GLL data that is measured at very high resolution and can then display narrowband information. SpeakerBase does not have this capability
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4