AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Speaker Lab - Line Array cabinet definitions
Speaker Lab - Line Array cabinet definitions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
stevenliddle

Hi

When creating a line array GLL in Speaker Lab, it is necessary to load in the wireframe speaker cabinet in 'edges' format. Are there any conventions as to how these edge files must be drawn in EASE Edit? (Thinking about which axis things must lie on + or - x, + or - y and + or - z)

I tried loading a wireframe that I'd created and exported from EASE Edit using positive values for x,y,z coordinates but when I attempted to articulate the array it focussed the boxes instead of splaying them. obviously I've done it upside down or back to front or something.

Is it possible to extract this info from the wireframes that appear in EASE Edit even though they are not selectable? e.g. I place a loudspeaker into the Edit window, select it and the speaker icon is highlighted. I can't actually select the attached wireframe and copy, edit or anything. I can't see any wireframe data file associated with the particular box I want to work on either.

Any tips appreciated.

Steve
Re: Speaker Lab - Line Array cabinet definitions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

stevenliddle wrote:
When creating a line array GLL in Speaker Lab, it is necessary to load in the wireframe speaker cabinet in 'edges' format. Are there any conventions as to how these edge files must be drawn in EASE Edit?

Hi Steve,

Yes, they need to be EASE Edges at this point. A future enhancement is planned to also allow EASE Faces.

Quote:
I tried loading a wireframe that I'd created and exported from EASE Edit using positive values for x,y,z coordinates but when I attempted to articulate the array it focussed the boxes instead of splaying them. obviously I've done it upside down or back to front or something.

The intersection of the axes in EASE becomes the origin of the cabinet. Generally you want this to be located at the top middle of the baffle for a line array box with the back of the loudspeaker in the +y direction.

Quote:
Is it possible to extract this info from the wireframes that appear in EASE Edit even though they are not selectable? e.g. I place a loudspeaker into the Edit window, select it and the speaker icon is highlighted. I can't actually select the attached wireframe and copy, edit or anything.

What you need to do is either open the speaker in EASE SpeakerBase, then edit the Case (Edit menu), or you need to open the loudspeaker as a project. There is an FRD file that controls the actual entities.

Quote:
I can't see any wireframe data file associated with the particular box I want to work on either.

If you can't see any wireframe data, then the manufacturer has not provided any, you will need to find a DXF version to import or draw it yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

Steve,

I should also mention a paper* presented at AES in SF that has more direct information on line arrays specifically.

* S. Feistel, A. Thompson and W. Ahnert, “Methods and Limitations of Line Source Simulation,” presented at the 125th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society (2008 Oct.), convention paper 7524.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
stevenliddle

[quote="Bruce"]Steve,

I should also mention a paper* presented at AES in SF that has more direct information on line arrays specifically.

* S. Feistel, A. Thompson and W. Ahnert, “Methods and Limitations of Line Source Simulation,” presented at the 125th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society (2008 Oct.), convention paper 7524.[/quote]

Bruce,

I've tried searching for this on the AES Publications website so I can purchase a copy but it isn't listed yet - I could buy the whole proceedings for $150 but I'm not sure it'd be worth the investment just yet.

Steve
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
stevenliddle

[quote="stevenliddle"][quote="Bruce"]Steve,

* S. Feistel, A. Thompson and W. Ahnert, “Methods and Limitations of Line Source Simulation,” presented at the 125th Convention of the Audio Engineering Society (2008 Oct.), convention paper 7524.[/quote]

Bruce,

I've tried searching for this on the AES Publications website so I can purchase a copy but it isn't listed yet - I could buy the whole proceedings for $150 but I'm not sure it'd be worth the investment just yet.

Steve
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4