AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> AFMG SysTune -> Program outcome comparisons
Program outcome comparisons
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
gluis

Yesterday I was doing some measurement and alignment work. I took the opportunity to compare results of the different programs i have at hand at the moment. I used Smaart, SAT Live and Systune. It baffles me that I obtained pretty much the same TF response curves in Smaart and sat live, both very usable as the basis for applying eq on the system, but although Easera Systune gave me the same peaks and dips frequency points, the peaks and dips were deeper and taller than what it was in the other programs. I tried with windowing, without windowing, with diferent types of windows and with different times in the wndowing, different smoothing parameters etc. I tried a lot of options and still I didn't get the same curves as the other ones. I used Smaart as my basis for equing as it is the one I know the most, but SAT gave me a very similar frequency response curve, and the system sounded pretty good and consistent with what was measured with both of them. I couldn't trust what the easera was giving me because it was so different of the other 2 platforms. I know I must be doing something wrong as I cannot believe the program is innacurate. Also, when I did measurements and comparison in a controlled enviroment (see my "Peak to delay troubles" post for details) the frequency response curves were in fact extemely similar on all the programs. I just find it hard to get useful results in the real world. I had read the manual and did all the excersices and some of my own at least twice, and still I guess I missing something, or the program is not as easy to use as some others. I admit and very used to Smaart, but I'm not used at all to SAT live. In fact I had studied Systune a lot more than SAT because I'm more interested in it. The basic difference with my setup at home and my field setup was the distances (hence the reflections) involved.

I hope you can help me understand what I'm doing wrong as I see a lot of good in your program, but I will not commit to it until I get repeatable useful results on the field.

Best regards,

Guillermo Sanchez
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Stefan

Guillermo,

it is difficult to comment on that one without seeing what's going on. Maybe you can send some screenshots and details to us: support[AT]afmg.eu.

I can only guess that the settings in SysTune and the other programs were not comparable, although it might look like that.

If you are still on the trial version, you can download a second license (there is always 2x 30 days) or contact us for a prolongation.

Stefan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
gluis

Basically I did about the same in SAT live and Smaart, and started it about the same on Systune and tried every thing it have in order to get curves similar to the ones I got in the other programs. last time I used it (this past sunday) I stored the curves (not the screenshots though) I'll see what I can do to convert those to screenshots (not my forté) and send them to you.

I'm interested in the extension since I still don't quite get it well enough to be able to depend on it, but if the program shows to be capable of better and more accurate results than the others, I will definitely buy it.

I think there are a lot of things to resolve in the user interface and methods than most programs already have, but if the measuring part is superior, the other things canbe bettered in time.

Best regards,

Guillermo Sanchez
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

Guillermo,

If you have the curves, then you can send them as well to the same email address.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
gluis

I'm going to look into how to store the curves of all the programs I'm using for you to compare to. I had not done it before but I guess there must be a way to copy a screen shot of each one. Also, please tell me what to do in order to extend the trial time so I could keep on using it in order to send the screenshots, and to figure it out.

Best regards,

Guillermo Sanchez
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

gluis wrote:
I'm going to look into how to store the curves of all the programs I'm using for you to compare to.
In EASERA Systune just press the Capture Measurement button for each curve that you want to save, then click in the name field to give it a more descriptive name (this will be used as the default filename in the next step), and then press the Save button at the bottom of the list. All Overlays not yet saved will be automatically selected to be saved (you can modify this selection in the popup dialog shown).
Quote:
I had not done it before but I guess there must be a way to copy a screen shot of each one.
You can use Send Upper/Lower Picture To => File to capture either graph and save it as a bitmap.
Quote:
Also, please tell me what to do in order to extend the trial time so I could keep on using it in order to send the screenshots, and to figure it out.
See Stefan's message above.

AFMG Network Forum Index -> AFMG SysTune