AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> AFMG EASERA -> Multichannel Measurements with EASERA
Multichannel Measurements with EASERA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Luis-Eduardo

I am considering EASERA as a basis for multi-point acoustical measurements. Measurement and post-processing capabilities aside, what is the experience of the group with multi-channel (4+ input channels) measurements using EASERA? What was the hardware used? Can several EASERA Gateways be used for multi-channel measurements?
Thanks in advance for any input.

LS
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Stefan

Hi Luis-Eduardo,

EASERA Pro supports up to 32 channels. That means you can make 32 measurements by sending out just a single signal and by recording and processing up to 32 input channels. Along with the EASERA Editing Sequences (or macros if you like) you can even automatically post-process data for each channel individually (such as scaling or windowing). An interesting real-world application making use of 20 channels is described here:
http://www.nwaalabs.com/images/NWAA_Labs_WhitePaper.pdf

Many of our Beta testers and users are utilizing 4-8 channels quite often. Hardware such as the FirePod from PreSonus, the FireFace or MultiFace from RME, the UA1000 from Edirol, Lexicon Omega or the MOTU work quite well for such purposes. For devices tested by us please go to http://www.sda.de/EaseraAudioDevices/Viewer.aspx.

Unfortunately the EASERA Gateway cannot be stacked, so you may only use one unit at a time. That will allow you to use up to 4 input channels.

Stefan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Ron Sauro

Hi, I am one guy who uses up to 24 channels ..... even tho EASERA can use up to 32 channels it all depends on how much resolution you wish ...at 48K it seems the firewire will only support about 24 channels as the firewire buss is running at about maximum speed..... if you are willing to have resolution lower then 32 channels is possible. I use Presonus digimax units but there is a new unit called the Firestudio that looks promising.... The firepods can be stacked but the synchronization is suspect as there is no word clock to lock them together.... it seems the Firestudio solves this problem ... Since the Digimaxs do not have an A/d I use the RME Hammerfall and find the lightpipe to be useful to solve the "pin one" problem....We do 19 channels at once and use the 20th channels as a reference for the FFT... We also do mic compensations as well as post processing as we go....

The Firebox can be stacked up to six channels
If there are any questions, I am willing to answer....
Ron Sauro
NWAA Labs

Last edited by Ron Sauro on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Luis-Eduardo

Thanks to you both, Stefan and Ron.
Based on my research and your feedback it is clear that EASERA PRO is the starting point for my current needs.
I will post my progress to the group so others can benefit from my "mistakes".
I am sure I will be posting more questions along the way too... Rolling Eyes

Ron - I have not seen you in a long time... now I know where you have been hidding. I checked your website and really enjoyed reading about you measurement rig. It reminds me of my days at the ISVR (UK).

Regards,

Luis-Eduardo Soares
Electro-Media Design, Ltd
www.electro-media.com
AFMG Network Forum Index -> AFMG EASERA