AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Mapping comparison with & without audience
Mapping comparison with & without audience
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
Varun

Dear all,
My company is involved in a project where we are getting stiff competition from BOSE.
To the best of my knowledge, the Bose modeller is capable of performing mappings when the venue is :
- Full
- Empty

However, correct me if I'm wrong but EASE is based solely upon the concept of audience areas.
This is the point that the client has raised. They would like to see mappings for a) an empty venue b) a venue full of people.

The only thing I could think of is a simulation once with a) only one audience area activated (almost empty venue) and b ) with all areas activated signifying a full venue.
However, how can we generate a mapping for an empty venue or something close to that?

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Mod Edit: Changed title to make it easier to find in a search. Bruce
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Stefan

Varun,

you should be aware that Audience Areas in EASE are completely virtual and only used for calculation and display of mappings. Their number or placing does not affect any acoustic parameters or results.

To simulate an occupied or empty venue you should assign appropriate wall materials to the faces where the people are located. There is plenty of data available, such as for different kinds of chairs and different kinds of occupation.

There are several people on the board who are extremely experienced in this kind of investigations. But also do not hesitate to contact your EASE distributor for more support.

Stefan
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
Varun

Hi Stefan,
Thanks for clearing up my misconception.
So for instance, if I want to simulate an empty venue, I merely change the surface material (intended for where the people will be located) to perhaps smooth concrete or something similiar so as to represent vacancy. If I want to simulate a completely occupied venue, I change the surface material of the possibly occupied locations to maybe 'pubic on wooden chairs' or something similiar.
Am i correct?

Varun
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Bruce

Hi Varun,

Varun wrote:
So for instance, if I want to simulate an empty venue, I merely change the surface material (intended for where the people will be located) to perhaps smooth concrete or something similiar so as to represent vacancy. If I want to simulate a completely occupied venue, I change the surface material of the possibly occupied locations to maybe 'pubic on wooden chairs' or something similiar.

Yes, that's exactly correct. This is a place that objects are really helpful, as well, if you have multiple seating areas. Create an Object that contains all of the seating area Faces, then select it and use the Edit Tab in the Properties dialog (F4) to change the material from one to the other.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Emad El-Saghir

Hello,
I may add that Beranek found that more accurate results can be obtained, when audience is treated just like other surfaces with a given absorption coefficient.
To take into account, the three-dimensional nature of the audience, a perimeter strip of 0.5m width is added around the real seating area, except where it intersects with walls (e.g. rear wall). This modified seating area would be assigned in your model the absorption coefficients suggested by Beranek in 1969, which are very close to those of the material labelled PUBLIC TNC for public on thin upholstered seats in the EASE material database, of course if this is the case in your project. The orchestra is handled in the same way.
Best regards,

AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4