AFMG Network Forum
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4 -> Updating from EASE 4.0 to EASE 4.1
Updating from EASE 4.0 to EASE 4.1
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Arthur

Something got screwed up with my EASE 4.1 installation, so I had to reinstall the program from my 4.0 program disk. However after the reinstallation is complete, when I selected Help->EASE Update, it connected to the ADA server without problem, says it "successfully received a response from the host," but could not find any updates to bring my EASE 4.0 up to the latest 4.1 version! What do I need to do to bring things up to date? Curiously, I'm missing Aura now! Sad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:12 am Reply with quote
Arthur

Well, it looks like I fixed the problem myself! Smile For the benefit of those who might encounter a similar problem...

After uploading my license to the ADA database, then performing a complete uninstall of all EASE programs through the windows "Add/Remove Programs" control panel, I did another complete reinstall from my EASE 4.0 CD, then downloaded my license from ADA and then started to perform the updates without any problem at all. After a few restarts through the update process, I'm now back in business with 4.1.0.7, with Aura included!

A few lessons learned:

1. My problems started shortly after installing Norton Systemworks. I have a feeling this may have "scrambled" one of the DLL's that EASE needs to function properly. Use caution with programs of this kind.

2. When reinstalling software from an older CD, it's best to upload your license to ADA, completely uninstall any EASE programs, install the program only from the install CD, download your license from ADA, then perform all updates until the "EASE Update" routine proclaims your software is up to date.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
Stefan

Arthur,

thanks for posting your solution.

Yes, you are right. Everybody should be careful with the new generation of FireWalls. They restrict traffic sometimes without the knowledge of the user. Their security features occasionally also prevent executables and libraries from being used properly. We have seen this now several times.

Additionally let me note, that upgrading from EASE 4.0 to 4.1 sometimes requires to reboot your machine to see a new patch right after having applied a patch. Normally there is a message indicating so.

It is unclear to us, however, why your AURA licence would disappear during this process. We will have to check that.

Stefan
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Ron Sauro

Arthur .... The more I see of Norton products as a general rule .. the less I like them.... It seems that they take over your computer in ways that are bothersome ...and worst of all when you wish to get rid of them they do not want to go completely away... When setting up computers here in the states I have finally come to the conclusion that I do not recommend using their products as a general rule.... I have seen them once to often screw up other programs as well....
Also as an aside ... I have also found that firewalls both hardware and software have also caused problems as the EASE site require direct access to your computer to do the correct updates.... Also when reinstalling remeber to use the correct EASEGUARD disk for your version....
Also as a final comment I have found that sometimes when Norton screws up really bad sometimes you have to go into the registry and do a search for EASE and remove it all but be careful if you do this to upload your registrations first for all of your EASE installations

Ron Sauro
NWAA Labs
www.nwaalabs.com
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE 4