AFMG Network
Forums for AFMG Software
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Forum Archive -> RAM qty for WinXP Home SP-2
RAM qty for WinXP Home SP-2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Peter J. Patrick

Well here's a question that I'll post here in case the answer is useful to others.

I would like to know whether EASE gets cramped by lack of RAM on really large projects.

Specifically how much RAM is nice to have for a model with say 4,000 faces under Win XP Home running Service Pack 2.

I'm starting to think 512MB is not enough!

Thank You to anyone who has a grasp on this.

Re: RAM qty for WinXP Home SP-2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:45 pm Reply with quote
josh evans

Its tough to say. First id load your project, and look under the main EASE window

under help *memory used*. If the prject is loaded and your under 50% id say that your ok.

If my machine uses about 400MB when its first turned on. I just loaded a large stadia model with about 3200 faces and it does just fine. My total used RAM went up to 550MB with the project loaded. Remember that ram will be used to store your program and your file, so the processor can access it faster. If my 3200 face file is about 2MB then I doubt the the NUMBER of faces will slow your machine down due to ram.

However RAM is cheap. So theres nothing wrong with 1 or 2 gig. Personally I use 2gig registered ram.

Whats your CPU speed, are you using a dual CPU setup. Iv always had VERY good results with dual cpus.

Re: RAM qty for WinXP Home SP-2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Peter Patrick

>

>Its tough to say. First id load your project, and look under the main EASE window

>under help *memory used*. If the prject is loaded and your under 50% id say that your ok.

>If my machine uses about 400MB when its first turned on. I just loaded a large stadia model with about 3200 faces and it does just fine. My total used RAM went up to 550MB with the project loaded. Remember that ram will be used to store your program and your file, so the processor can access it faster. If my 3200 face file is about 2MB then I doubt the the NUMBER of faces will slow your machine down due to ram.

>

>However RAM is cheap. So theres nothing wrong with 1 or 2 gig. Personally I use 2gig registered ram.

>Whats your CPU speed, are you using a dual CPU setup. Iv always had VERY good results with dual cpus.

Hi Josh,

I'm now certain the odd things I'm seeing are most likely are emanating from the video card / monitor interface area.

As for dual processors ... well that's fine but somebody has to pay for the Motherboard etc etc. A decent dual processor machine costs about double the price of a single processor machine around here. ... and mabe then some more still.

Tks & Best Regards

P.J.P.

RAM qty for WinXP Home SP-2
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Forum Archive