AFMG Network
Forums for AFMG Software
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Forum Archive -> Athlon CPU Support?
Athlon CPU Support?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:48 am Reply with quote

I'm looking to upgrade my computer soon (getting weary of my 4 year old 433 MHz CPU and overnight rendering sessions), and was curious as to whether Athlon processors are supported with EASE? Any advantages of going with Athlon vs. Intel based processors with regards to EASE? Any other suggestions for an optimal computer configuration are most welcome. I'm looking to spend money on this, but not break the bank account! ;o)
Re: Athlon CPU Support?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:24 am Reply with quote

Hi Arthur,

in fact EASE cannot offer direct support for AMD processors. Because Intel provides a very fast and stable set of libraries we are using that for some signal processing. This means that in particular on Intel processors you will see performance gains due to the fact that these functions have been optimized for the individual processors. Nevertheless they will run on AMD machines just fine, but not as fast.

I don't have any other hints, except that with the Intel Hyperthreading PCs you can easily run Word or Outlook while EASE is busy with computing in the background.

Maybe Bruce or other users can comment on that.

Re: Athlon CPU Support?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:11 pm Reply with quote
josh evans

I would highly suggest going with a dual CPU workstation. Save some money and scale back on the CPU speed. I used EASE on several different workstations, at some point it doesnít matter how much horse power you throw at it. The limiting factor of speed is not hardware related. Its more dependant on the operator and software.

As far as AMD vs Intel with EASE, I have not seen the performance boost Stefan speaks of. And would like to hear more

Compared to what you have I donít think you can go wrong. Regardless of what you choose you should easily be able to get 20dB faster.

Athlon CPU Support?
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE Forum Archive